Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Bipolar2016
Casual Contributor

Experience of having a mental illness

Over the past five years I have had the mental illness of bipolar disorder. I wanted to share some of the things that have happened to me as I feel they are totally wrong.

In hospital I have had doctors try to discharge me when I was seriously unwell.

I have had family members and friends completely abandon me.

I have been bullied and harassed at work and discriminated against and very little has been done to help me.

I feel there is still very little support for people with a mental illness. Unless your in hospital, and I mean a private hospital (the public hospitals are dreadful), there is virtually no support. Seeing your doctor for 30 minutes once a fortnight doesn't help on a day to day basis.

I've had a huge amount of trouble getting the medication right. I've nearly lost my job over it because of the time I have had to have off.

I think there needs to be a lot more research into mental health, in particular medications to make the science more exact.
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Experience of having a mental illness

Dear Bipolar2016. It sounds as though you've felt really 'up against it' over the years. Bipolar is one of those illnesses where not a lot is known about it. Often people abandon or bully you, thinking if I say nothing, I can't hurt the person (abandonment). To bully is equally wrong, but usually it's been believed that bullying helps the sufferer 'snap out of it'. Have you asked your Dr for a support group in your area. My ex sister in-law's hubby has bipolar and he was put in touch with a good support group through his Dr. With the medication, we often have the 'guinea pig' effect where you keep trying till you find the right amount. This can take time, which cuts into your life. There is support groups for mental illness, finding them, I agree, is a bit like the 'needle in the haystack' scenario. I would suggest, therefore asking your Dr's receptionist if she's aware of any support groups in your area. If she's unsure, ask your Dr. When you make the Dr's appointment ask for a longer one and ask for help. You could try ringing the mental health department of your local hospital too. Or just ask the hospital when you ring. If you get no joy, have a look online. Google Bipolar and have a scan to see if anything jumps out.

Hi Pip

Thanks for your kind message. I think I am missing attending a support group. That's what I really enjoyed when I was in hospital - the group therapy classes. So beneficial. The only problem is there is no bipolar support group where I live. There is only one group for mental health and the leader of that group stalked me in hospital so not exactly an option.

Thanks for reading my 'whinge' anyway. Things I needed to get off my chest. Nice to know someone listened/read.

Best wishes to you 🙂

Hi @Bipolar2016, welcome to the Forums. I wish your experience was an isolated one but we hear similar stories quite often in the SANE Help Centre.  It's very hard for people to build up the right support and treatment team.  And there can be so many disapointments along the way through the treatment by those  trusted like family and colleagues.

I'm really sorry to hear that you've had such a rough time.  You've done very well to stay employed.  That's a genuine accomplishment.  And I completely agree - we need to know more and we need to do better. 

I hope you find some good support and company here in the Forums.  There are people here who really get it. 

Thanks Suzanne. I saw the ad on TV for the forum. I'm finding it helpful so far. Good there is an active moderation presence.

Kind regards

Hi @Bipolar2016. I am new here too and saw the ad on TV as well. I find when I am travelling rough, that just having someone to talk to helps me.  I have learnt to take advantage of what is available to get the support I need. It is like anything, you will get people who are comforting and others who you just don't feel comforted by. One of the services I have used is ACSO, (sorry, not sure what that stands for off hand). I was able to phone the other day to talk to someone, but when I called the woman who was to talk to me was on a phone call, and I was told she would call me back - she never did.  Too bad if I was suicidal.  The next day I called back and spoke to a guy who I did feel comforted by and I told him about how I was promised a phone call but that they didn't call back.  He actually spoke to the person who failed to call me back and she phoned me apologising over and over - I accepted her apology, but she kept apologising, and in the end she aggravated me, and after speaking with her, I realized that I did not like talking to her - nothing annoys me more than when they come out with all the cliche's. Anyway, I am no expert, but people are going to be helpful and some not so helpful. Surround yourself with people who do not judge you, who are gentle, warm and accepting - avoid stressful people and stressful situations. I love to laugh, and the funniest person I know, is myself, so I can have a good time by myself. I hope you find the right support and know that coming here will be a safe place any time you need to talk.

Regards

Aphrodite

Hi @Bipolar2016

I am glad you found us - and I would like to take this chance to welcome you to the website - I have been here a few months and I have found it extremely helpful

And you have had some good replies as well

I was misdiagnsed with bipolar disdorder in 1987 - actually - I was in a bad grieving pattern after the death of my son - I would hold everything together only to come apart and fall into a heap - I did not have family support - and this was the problem

Still - I do know what it is like to have one's emotions bouncing back and forth between extremes - and the way people treated me - and bereaved parents find this - people avoid us - whatever the disorder is - or they come on quick with the cliches as @Aphrodite said and I really hate cliches - and I hate like mad being told to have a nice cup of tea - I can hardly bear this - I hate tea - and even so - how can a cup of tea help when one way or another the world is coming apart

So there is a lot of discrimination and people can find themselves very lonely - and whatever we have is not catching - but the world can be a lonely place after all that -

It's good you have found us - I hope you can stay around and keep posting - for me having an on-line community is really helpful and I enjoy it - it helps a lot

I hope this can prove the same for you

Decadian

@Bipolar2016 thank you for sharing - i too lost family and friends and have only just got my family back

Hang in there
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance