Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

vitamins

Hi all. I have lived with mental illness over 20 years now. It's only recently I feel much better, less depression. Coincidentally, or maybe not, I'm also recently diagnosed with low vit D. I now take vitamins for the D deficiency and vitamins for stress. I wonder if others have tried vitamin supplements and how it's working for them?
46 REPLIES 46

Re: vitamins

Hi,
Thanks for your message. I've been using medication every day for over ten years now and been getting tireder every year. Only six years ago, I was working over twenty hours per week
Now I'm home full time...burnt out, tired and ...to tell the truth.....a little frustrated that I haven't worked for over 18 months.
where do I go to get Vitamin D tested?

I have PTSD, long term effects from a major head injury and depression.
I thought that 17 -18 years of Psychotherapy would knock all my problems on the head but I gotta focus day by day on my well being.

Twelve months ago was trying very hard to keep up half hour excersise per day but just wanted to stop from tiredness so did....
A Chemist told me that taking Multi vitamins may help me out to get about again.
About a month ago, started taking fish oil tablets.. And 'Suisse,' Multi vitamins tablets to try and regain my engergy.

Yesterday, I did 50 skips on my jump rope.

I'm feeling like I'm engaging more with my neighbours and not wanting to go home to bed.
I gotta keep the water up too.

thanks for reading,

Taking vitamin d, fish oil and evening primrose oil. Have to be honest, I am very slack at taking all 3. I do find EPO helps with inflammation, and I think calms me a lot. Definitely improves my complexion.

Hi Liberty, I started taking vitamin D two years ago and it has really helped my energy levels. We all cover up and hide from the sun, so now we aren't getting any natural Vitamin D from the sun. I get quite depressed without sun exposure or if I don't take my  vitamin D tablets regularly. This is the only vitamin supplement I take.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks for all the comments. I like how vitamins give me a boost of energy. Like you say justanother47yr it's the extra energy that helps get you going through the day. I hope you keep on feeling that energy.
Alessandra1992 I do also take fish oil. I'm not yet convinced if it helps but I definitely notice if I forget all the vits as I feel low and tired.
Just want to add that I'm not anti meds. Just talking supplementing what's missing. I'm on meds and know that it keeps me well. The vits take it a step further.

Hi Liberty, I am not anti meds either..they really helped me and I won't hesitate to restart if I need to. My mum got me onto EPO and fish oil for managing hormones..as I am in menopause, hot flushes have been zero since recommending EPO. I actually thought I was becoming unwell again over summer, tests showed nope, it's my hormones and vitamin d levels. So for once, I am grateful to be ageing! I can't believe I just said that! My waistline isn't responding well to the new phase in my life, drat..I will have to get fitter..😄

hi, Yep...the fish oil improves my complexion and I get very big boils under my face, they have calmed right down.
Former-Member
Not applicable

That's good to know about the EPO as I'm getting hot flushes sometimes. When they start again I'll try the EP oil.
Fish oil seems to work for lots of different things. Great 🙂

Re: vitamins..now if the capsule sizes could be reduced...

That is the most annoying thing about capsules, their size! When I have some spare cash and I have finished my current batches, I am going to splash out on those expensive super krill tiny capsules. And I will try and find the brand that is harvested krill as I do not want any whales to miss out on their main food source. Wish they would make EPO in small sizes too!

what's EPO?

both of my children moved out of home, my youngest son was very ill for a long time and got better and after much much therapy. I chose to get a lap band. I felt my life... Was out of control like my eating was.
This is a decision I will never regret. I got lapband 4 years ago . I was too tired to do anything about it for three or four years but this year, have started using it and seeing the surgeon regularly.

It's a personal chiose. I'm not interested in being a middle aged waif thin chick....I still very 'meaty,' I feel it gives me more ability to have control over my eating.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance