Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

kenny66
Senior Contributor

Managing Schizoaffective Disorder

Hi

I thought some people on the forum might be interested in how I manage my Schizoaffective Disorder and what its like to have it.

Its probably quite similar to a number of MIs but with a bit of a twist. Schizoaffective is sometimes described as Bipolar getting married to Schizophrenia. Their kids turn out pretty unusual!!!

Schizoaffective has the big mood swings of Bipolar along with psychosis, manic behaviour, delusions and hallucinations of Schizophrenia. Its quite an experience really, when you think about it.

Like others it has positive and negative symptoms. Anyway there is plenty of information available on the Internet which goes into the technicalities of the disorder, so I wont describe that.

Day to day the biggest challenge is dealing with the change over from reality to unreality. Its sometimes very difficult to know what is a real experience. So you need to have strategies of grounding yourself so you can have a bit of a checklist of what really happened.

I have a couple of mates who can correct me where I have an unreal experience which I think is real, so you can sort of compartmentalise real and unreal. But not always though.

I hallucinate quite a lot so I can pretty well manage that process now. My hallucinations, including voices usually have a theme, sometimes its really scary and sometimes pleasant and interesting. When I am hallucinating I try and not go out of the house.

For example I went through a period of wearing a stethoscope up to the shops, for whatever reason, maybe a medical thing, I even had a checkout kid think I was a Dr.

Living with Schizoaffective Disorder I don't think is any more difficult than living with any other mental illness. A large part of managing it is to develop a certain optimism about outcomes and keep focused on that.

Because its at the high end of Schizophrenia I guess you do have more admissions, which can be a bit of a downer. However I treat stays in the mental health ward as just another part of the necessary treatment regime, no more daunting than psycho therapy or medication.

I also get to see people with Schizophrenia in there which is a bit of a club atmosphere.

A lot of the symptoms of the disorder are managed by medication which is the cornerstone of treatment. I have never met anyone with it that could manage without medication and I suspect it may not be possible.

It took me three years to come up with the right combination of drugs. Some have side effects so terrible its not possible to keep on them for long.

The medication regime is daunting though I must say. In my case I have a mixture of medications that deal with psychosis and mood disorders and all the other jazz. So you have to take stuff early morning, mid morning, afternoon, early evening then before you go to bed as well.

This is where I get really mucked up and rely so heavily on my F/M to keep me medication compliant. So I think that the medication for it is the worst part even though it keeps you well.

The best part is you have no natural cynicism about people. Its hard to make judgement's about peoples intentions so you just assume everyone is nice.

I am not sure if people with the disorder have the necessary life skills to be judgemental. I think not. So I generally love everyone straight up until I am proved wrong.

Like a lot of Schizoaffectives I have epilepsy and PTSD and OCD co-morbidly. Those conditions somewhat complicate the Schizoaffective symptoms but I think generally shizoaffective symptoms come through most strongly.

I have to say that the Scizoaffective world can be quite beautiful on occasion as some of the altered states can be magical. Its not a world full of darkness only but a crystal light frequently. There can be a softness about it as well.

The real villain within my psyche and my greatest burden is past sexual and physical abuse. I wont go on about it but that one component of the totality of whom I am is devastating sometimes.

I don't think I will ever be able to have a long term relationship with anyone because of it, not in the conventional sense in any event. But apart from that one thing I rock along quite happily usually dealing with the challenges of my illness day to day.

Of course it would be better if I did not have Schizoaffective disorder but I am making the best of the hand I have been dealt rather well I think.

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Managing Schizoaffective Disorder

Dear @kenny66 

Thanks for sharing this with us, and giving us such insight into living with your condition. I think you are truly amazing and inspiring (and please don't argue with me, if the shoe was on the other foot you would say the same).Heart

Hope for wellness endures!

Kindest regards,

Kristin

Thanks to you Kristin

you always have such lovely things to say

All the best

Kenny

Hey @kenny66 I found that very interesting, thanks for sharing how it is for you and the basic outline of what Schizoaffective is. I know your not gonna believe this but I was thinking earlier about that particular MI and was going to Google it as I didn't understand the difference between the two, as in the affective. It obviously poses a huge challenge to live. You mentioned that when you are having hallucinations that you stay home. I was wondering how you know, if you know, you are hallucinating? I must say you write very well. You are obviously well educated. I wish you peace kenny66

@peace 

you were wondering how I know about hallucinations. Often they start with a smell, like the scent of a cake baking, a noise like a chainsaw or I sometimes get a metallic taste and of course imaginary conversations start with the running commentary of voices.

There can be a lot of other signs and warnings prior to the start of an hallucination but on occasion none.

My F/M tells me when my behaviour is starting to get that way as well, and as I said I try to stay house bound. 

On the education front, its probably the mixed bag that a lot of schizoaffective people have. Tending to Higher IQ-low practical skills-cognitive deficiencies etc. Writing skills seems to be an area where the MI has enhanced that ability.

There are some interesting studies looking at intelligence levels of people with schizophrenia, which you might find interesting.

-

Hi @kenny66 

Thanks for explaining, sounds like it takes a lot of mindfulness, and a faithful caring friend, to manage that aspect. Wlee done to both of you!

I would be interested to read the studies about IQ and schizophrenia - do you have any links you would recommend - if so can you post them please?

Kind regards,

Kristin

Hi Seuss

F/M is flat mate

SchizoA is a very long journey. I went through a horrible early childhood but started to improve when I left home at 16 or so to escape the abuse.

All through the next few years I would crash and burn after a period of stability where I was successful at work but eventually had to leave because I got sick. I was a high achiever nevertheless, just not over an extended period of time. 

I got invited to apply for Mensa but missed but missed out, but at least I was invited. I am still 100% convinced my MI has made me as creative as I am and has given me my communication skills. So that is a real positive I am very grateful for.

I had a lot of presentations to Accident and Emergency wards after leaving home in episodes but never continued with any sort of treatment after I was discharged.

I had severe schizophrenia during this time which would come and go. Untreated I had no idea what was going on and lost large amounts of time.

So at 20 I was diagnosed with Schizoaffective. My previous diagnosis had been DID, Bipolar with psychotic features, Schizophrenia and then Schizoaffective Disorder Bipolar Type. It wasn't until I got the final diagnosis that I started to be effectively medicated.

Properly medicated I got on top of my MI. Of course I have episodes and still lose time but now everything is in context and is manageable. It gives me clarity.

Positivity for me came about from that despairing childhood. Its a pretty messed up psychological position to be in when you are abused as a child.

I had to be positive and have hope into the future that things would be better, otherwise you would just disappear. So that positivity just stuck with me.

I probably think that I have not used my education because I haven't really had the opportunity to apply it. My working life has been far too short.

I also have issues getting into subjects like medical stuff and maths and comprehending them because they are not artistic based. So I swing way toward the arts and not at all towards the sciences.

My MI gives me problems with comprehension and application, particularly sequencing from time to time but when I am well I am pretty well on top of the reading and writing game.

To get me around the lack of concentration, which is a real side effect of the mood stabilisers I take, I read everything including food can labels and try and remember them. This works because they are usually short and have catchy themes. However I do have to make lots of sticky notes to get through life!!!

Yes I do like using my intellect when I have the opportunity.

In life I try to direct everything I do towards something I think is good and as I said before elsewhere things such as helping rescue cats and dogs, bottle feeding abandoned baby bats and marsupials helping other MI people at the mental health clinic etc etc.

I hope that by attaining a state of complete selflessness, I will be given the inner peace I need.

Kenny

i love reading about hope. I try and suggest it to people who are struggling with any thing in life 🙂

-

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance