Skip to main content
espressologic
Administrator

Where Has My Favourite Person Gone? Understanding Absences in Our Community

Hi everyone,

We know how much you care about the people you connect with on the forums, and sometimes it can be worrying when someone you’ve been talking to suddenly stops posting. Let’s talk about why this might happen and how we can all support each other when it does.

Respecting Privacy

Members may take breaks or leave the forum for various reasons, and it’s important to respect their privacy. They might be focusing on their personal lives or simply need a break. It’s essential to respect each person’s right to step back when they need to, without them feeling pressured to explain in advance.

Support Members Here and Now

Our primary goal is to offer mutual support to those who are here. While we might miss familiar names, it’s important to stay focused on helping those currently active in our community, many of whom need your support. It’s natural to wonder why someone is not posting, but speculating can lead to unnecessary worry.  Please avoid ‘playing detective’ in your posts and remember that the forums are an open door for members to come and go as they feel they need to.

Make Lots of Connections

While it's wonderful to form close bonds with individual members, it's equally important to connect with a variety of people within the community. This helps ensure that you always have a network of support, even if someone you’re close to takes a break. Remember, we are a group self-help space, and the strength of our community lies in the connections we build with many members.

Strong Community

The SANE forum is a strong community that has been here for nearly ten years.  Some members have been here since the very beginning, others are just starting out on their recovery journey.  While members may come and go, the supportive environment we create together remains constant. Let’s continue to welcome members, new and old, and continue to support each other.

Thanks for being here.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Where Has My Favourite Person Gone? Understanding Absences in Our Community

@espressologicPoint noted.

Who’s the dude with the guitar head over one side of his face in your profile picture?

G

Hi @Glisten, that would be the legendary Chris Rea 🎸

@espressologic one of every few people who survives pancreatic cancer.

He is 73 now.

June 2002 I was an Undergrad doing archaeology. Team had a weekend off.

In a rooftop bar in Kas Turkey 🇹🇷 drinking G&T. Driving Home For Christmas came on. We thought it was hilarious 😆 

Bar manager played Christmas music for the rest of the night LOL

G

Absolute legend @Glisten - nothing wrong with Christmas in June 😂 

I wasn’t asking to upset anyone I was just asking about that particularly person because they would post all the time then stopped
I didn’t mean to break any rules or upset anyone if this is aimed at me
I just wanted to know they’re ok

Hi @ArraDreaming, this wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. It's an issue that comes up quite a lot on the forums, so we thought it would be a good idea to write a guide post about it. 

Sure thing @espressologic

Can we do one of these things about how to make friends or here or something because I try to be social but feels like I’m not getting very far sometimes and sometimes all I do is talk to the mods which is cool but like, I want to make some friends or something on here AS WELL, like the point of this place is peer to peer right, well I don’t have anyone and when I try to talk to people I must be doing something wrong.

Hey @ArraDreaming how would you feel about getting a thread started on this topic so we can hear from the community and they can contribute their ideas and thoughts? 

Sure, I will later @Ru-bee