Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Tues, 15 March, 7pm AEDT // Managing and changing your thoughts

How does the way we think influence the way we feel?

With Brain Awareness Week coming up from 14-20 March, we decided to investigate what goes on in our minds, which we may or may not be aware of, and how this can contribute to mental illness.

Join us on Tuesday, 15 March at 7pm AEDT to be part of the conversation!

4 things you can do now:

1. Register as a member of the forums, which enables you to participate in the session

2. Hit the like button below to receive an email reminder on the night

3. Check out a blog about how our thinking patterns can maintain our distress

4. Leave a question below, if you can't make it tonight

103 REPLIES 103

Re: Topic Tuesday // Tues, 15 March, 7pm AEDT // Managing and changing your thoughts

Hi,

New to this Forum can you please advise me where I can locate tonight's topic, 'Managing and Changing your Thoughts' as unfortunately, I will not be available to listen to this tonight.  Many thanks!

Re: Topic Tuesday // Tues, 15 March, 7pm AEDT // Managing and changing your thoughts

Hi @Sanefan

You can come back to this exact thread and read over what was discussed. It's a live forum where people can type their questions / comments, rather than audio. 

If you have any burning questions, feel free to post it here and it will get answered tonight.

Kind Regards,

Nik

I AM A shopaholic especially at Op shopsand on web.. Ihave a full house and need to declutter. Iam bipolar and need have some help to manage this. I live in rural coastaL Vic

Topic Tuesday is about to commence, here's a call out to those who RSVP'd

@Polly48 @Sanefan @Jacques @Astrid @Mazarita @Drac0 @Shaz51 @MOT @Polly48 @Lookingup @Billamba @Former-Member @Jojo @Shan and @Saa

Welcome to tonight's session on managing your thoughts.

Let's welcome our guestspeaker who some of you might be familar with. It's one of our SANE Mods @Shimmer

Hi everyone Smiley Happy

For those who are new to the Forums, I’m Shimmer, one of the SANE Moderators. 

I’ve noticed that Forums members can be really good at identifying when they or others are thinking in negative ways, which leave them feeling worse, and offering alternative perspectives. At the moment we’re doing this informally around the Forums, but I thought tonight would be a great opportunity to have a discussion about the model behind this, so we can all become more aware of our unhelpful thinking patterns and more active in challenging them. 

I’m keen to make tonight really practical, particularly, to give you all a chance to discuss which unhelpful thinking styles you think you might use, so we can together consider possible ways to modify them.

I’ve written a blog here giving a bit of a background for the discussion tonight – feel free to read it if you haven’t had a chance yet – and I’m more than happy to answer any questions you have Smiley Happy

@Shimmer how about we start off with describing what CBT is?

Hi Shimmer

Sure @CherryBomb. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, or CBT, is an approach to understanding and treating mental illness which looks at how a person’s thoughts, feeling and behaviours interact, and how this can contribute to their distress.

Welcome @Polly48 Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance