Skip to main content

Re: Riding a wave

I feel so utterly alone right now...because I AM utterly alone. I don't actually feel lonely, rather, I feel the weight of how completely alone I am on this planet. I feel the weight of having had to make up a name for an emergency contact when I filled out the online form to join my yoga class. I feel the weight of having had to write "I have no next of kin" on the intake form for TTT. I feel the weight of knowing that if I had fallen off the ladder that I was using in my house earlier today, no one would have even started to come looking for me for weeks. I feel the weight of knowing that there are seven and a half billion people on this planet, and yet not one who I can pick up the phone and call to say "hi" to. Yep, tonight I feel a very heavy weight of how amazingly alone I am in this world.

Good night @Former-Member. I am still wondering where @CheerBear's first dessert went to. It seems that that may be destined to become the eighth great mystery of the world. Smiley Very Happy

@CheerBear I don't plan to be in Forum Land too much between now and the 2nd of January. However, I will definitely be sharing Christmas with you and your LF! I am super looking forward to it. And I PROMISE to have the rest of the DBT mindfulness module ready to go in the New Year. Isn't it super doing something with a turtle - you never ever feel rushed. Smiley LOL

Goodnight Forum Land. Smiley Happy

do not disturb turtle.jpg

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Phoenix_Rising. I hope the ocean is as calm as it can be today. 🌷🐢

I know you’re not going to be around much for a while, but I wondered if I could ask you a question, please? (Well, I guess I just did, but another one …) 😊

Do you have any favourite books or journal articles about attachment theory (or other attachment stuff/ideas)? Or author/researcher? Or just anything you can recommend as worth reading? I’m interested to read more (knowing this is a massive part of my muddle) and while I still have access to a uni library, I thought I’d ask my sage acquaintance. 😊 It’s totally not urgent so no need to reply straight away, or even at all.

I also wanted to drop this off for you: The Very Noisy Bear by Nick Bland. 📚

Written and Illustrated by Nick Bland

Good evening @Former-Member,

I hope you have had some good in your day. I have had a peaceful day - which is super nice. Smiley Happy

Oooh it sounds like we are doing a book exchange. Smiley Very Happy

The book I would suggest starting with in terms of attachment theory is this one:

Attachment in adulthood: Structure, dynamics, and change. It is by Mario Mikulincer and Phillip Shaver. I have the 2007 edition, but I just checked the book depository and it seems a second edition was published a month ago!!! https://www.bookdepository.com/Attachment-in-Adulthood--Second-Edition/9781462533817 

The book has a MASSIVE reference list, so if you start with this one, it will guide you to other relevent literature.

The seminal work on attachment theory was done by John Bowlby and Mary Ainsworth. You will find them heavily referenced by Mikulincer and Shaver. Therefore, I would suggest starting with Mikulincer and Shaver and then if you want to go back to where it all began, go and hunt out the works of Bowlby and Ainsworth. 

Be aware that this stuff can make for tricky reading. At least, I found it tricky and it sounds like you and I have similar stories in some ways. It was tricky in terms of the sense of "if only..." if that makes sense. However, I find that I am ok with that feeling because it tends to be mixed with a super big dose of validation and a sense of knowing that my muddle is a normal reaction to a very abnormal situation, rather than that there is anything "wrong" with me.  

Have fun! Smiley Happy

Former-Member
Not applicable

You are a super star, @Phoenix_Rising. 🐢️ Thank you so much. I knew you were the right turtle to ask. 😊

My uni library even has an e-book version of the second edition so I can have a bit of a try-before-I-buy. I’m looking at it right now. 😊 I don’t like reading on the screen much though, so no doubt the book nerd will buy a book-book. 

Thank you for the heads up about the ‘if only’ trickiness (which makes so much sense). I could really do with a super big dose of validation.

I’m glad you’ve had a peaceful day. My day has been a quiet one, too. I’m getting a head start on uni reading (thankfully my brain is mostly letting me read at the moment). I’m determined to get through my last two subjects so I can finally get my useless 12-years-in-the-making piece of paper.

I hope you have a good night and sleep well later. Thank you again for sharing your wisdom. 🌷🐢

Former-Member
Not applicable

Happy Christmas Eve, @Phoenix_Rising. I’m going to be hiding from the world tomorrow so I wanted to drop these off for you tonight. 📚 Good luck with your shopping tradition mission later. 😊 I hope you have a great night and a super great day tomorrow. 🌷🐢

christmas sea turtle.jpg

Please Subscribe Here ⇢ http://bit.ly/2gE3RVm And Don't Forget to Like, Share & Comment! Santa Pups by Jerry Pallotta (Children's Christmas Book) - Santa loves his reindeer. But what happens when he decides to let dogs pull his sleigh?
Please Subscribe Here ⇢ http://bit.ly/2gE3RVm And Don't Forget to Like, Share & Comment! If You Take a Mouse to the Movies by Laura Numeroff (Christmas Book) - If you take a mouse to the movies, he'll ask you for some popcorn. When you give him the popcorn, he'll want to string it all together ...
Far away in a land of ice and snow, lives a very special cat. Santa's Cat. She isn't always the sweetest pet on Earth but she has big, brave heart... and a very special job. Find out all about her in this magical rhyming story, written and illustrated by Leone Annabella Betts & Keith Dando. Want ...

Ooooh Christmas stories!!!! Super big thank you @Former-Member. I hope tomorrow is an ok (or better) day for you bookish. I will probably be around here a bit, but not heaps. I really do have my own traditions and I don't find Christmas day nearly as difficult as I used to. I will be thinking of you tomorrow. Smiley Happy

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks, @Phoenix_Rising. I’ll have lots of books and an Edie-cat and will do my best to pretend it’s just any other day. 😊

Thank you for being you, @Phoenix_Rising. I think you’re super awesome. 🌷🐢

@Former-Member I think you are awesome-er. Smiley Very Happy

Merry Christmas @Phoenix_Rising 😊 I have been thinking of you lots and lots this morning. I'm doing a very quick hi here at the moment, but have been sharing the day with a tiny turtle in my handbag pocket. Hope you enjoyed your pancakes and prawns and that you got the book you wanted!

Sending a big hi to bookish who I won't tag as I know you're hiding today.

And a hello and best wishes for the day to anyone reading at the moment

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks for asking @Former-Member and thanks for the book recommendation @Phoenix_Rising. I'm really interested too and would like to learn more. 
I think I have some sort of an attachment issue... maybe???
But kinda in the opposite way to most people (I think?). I don't have a partner and I have never had a relationship because I can't have people getting too close to me. If you get too close to me (firends, family, partners) I can't handle it and I get really really scared and I have to run away. RUN! AWAY!

And I really want to know how and how to fix it.

But I'm too scared to ask my therapist. 

But perhaps reading a book might help me a little and maybe get enough confidence to talk to my therapist about it too.