Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friends, families and carers

Marylou
Casual Contributor

General practitioners and MH treatment

How much time does  a GP have to monitor people with long term mental illnesses.

Many patients are handed over to a GP as soon as the MH team think they are stabilised on medication.

Many or most of these patients are ded. and  most GP has not the experience or interest or time to do the follow up or management that is needed.A classic case of course is the Bondi Junction tragedy where a very sick but in some ways personable young man was overcome by his psychosis .I can identify with his case .I can imagine if those who knew him best were concerned they would have had a most difficult time getting suitable medical help.

My son after 4 years with a GP and some  with MH team needs a psychiatric review of his medication.

Despite my visits to talk to the GP he had done nothing. Of course as a mother my son does not like me to comment on the management of his condition so I have no where to turn for help .

5 REPLIES 5

Re: General practitioners and MH treatment

Hey @Marylou ,

I think it really depends on the GP. I went through a few GP's before I found one that was great with my mental health. She follows up if I am unwell. But you are right, it's unfortunate that all too often the mental health teams have such a case load that they hand back over to GP's. If you are concerned is there a possibility that you could talk with the mental health access line in your state? 

Hey @Marylou ,

I'm certainly hearing you. I hear what you are saying. 

I experienced this for myself in the past where I was under area mental health for many years. I had a psychologist, psychiatrist, social worker, peer worker. When I was discharged, my GP was to over see my supports.

However, I have to say, this worked. Why? Because I worked on a transition plan with area mental health and there was handover to the GP. I also asked the service for a list of GPs who they recommended who were ready to take on and oversee my needs. They gave me a list of the GPs they liaise with.

For me, my medication was handled by my area mental health. The service liaised with the pharmacy, and I never had to see or deal with a script. Medication was delivered to my house fortnightly. I thought this would stop after I finished up with area mental health, but the GP followed through and continues to manage my medication in the same way.

From all this, I wonder if you can ask the service if there are GPs they recommend who can follow through with the care?

Hi @Marylou 

You're right, there are gaps in the system that let people down. 

I wonder whether it might help to put something in writing to the GP practice manager to ask whether there is anything they can do, as both @Ainjoule and @tyme suggested, whether there are programs that might be available to help streamline the process?

Can we help in other ways? We have a social threads here , as well as a support line that's open for a chat on: 1800 187 263 (10AM - 8PM).

Hope you're looking out for yourself, too 😎 🌸

Hi @Marylou,

Thank you for sharing and I'm sorry it's a bit of a tricky situation for you as the parent of someone that needs appropriate mental health support.

I have really lucked out and have always had mental health friendly GPs and can see how difficult and frustrating it is to not have a doctor that treats mental health the same way they would physical health.

Assuming that your child is underage or has agreed to let you speak on their behalf, his GP should be listening to you and should take requests for medication reviews seriously.

I think @Ainjoule@tyme and @8ppleTreemade some really good suggestions there, in that perhaps you could ask the MH team which doctors or support services they work with and recommend etc.

And I also highly recommend SANE's Support Line if you feel you need to reach out.

Here are some resources that may be of interest to you as well:

Know that you're not alone… wishing you all the best and hope to hear from you again.

How are you @Marylou ?

Any success?

Hope you are okay.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance