Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Wait what did I come into this thread for again? Oh yeah, ADHD!

Hello and welcome @AFK 😀:ok_hand:❤

Thanks for your insightful responses @Jynx . I've learnt so much from Topic Tuesday // ADHD // Tuesday 22nd February, 7:00- 8:30PM AEDT 

Now I understand why some people behave the way they do.

I've got a question. 

Do you have other strategies that help you get through the day? Do you find lists helpful or more stressful?

There's still so much for me to learn about ADHD!

tyme

@AFK not verbose, responding to things other people have said, which I appreciate

@tyme I love lists! Handwritten To Do lists on the backs of envelopes (strangely, I don't lose them, unlike keys, glasses, and so many other things) or in exercise books. Plus reminders in my phone for things i need to do at a specific time.

Awesome @greenspace ! I like the idea of setting up reminders on a phone. And boy, do I LOVE lists!

I am at a loss sometimes how to help my kids. They are EVERYWHERE.

It was good to read that fidgeting helps some people.

Is there any thing else you think helps those with ADHD?

Sometimes I feel people will get annoyed if I simplify steps, give them a list, set up a visual schedule or graphic organiser. It's hard....

@tyme has anyone said that they are annoyed by you trying to be helpful? Some people might be, I guess, but I'd be pleased if someone used helpful strategies. 

I get annoyed with my brain needing help, sometimes, but not with someone offering suggestions if they work for me. 

Maybe you could ask if those strategies are helpful? 

Or maybe, if it's your family, it's not your help that's annoying, but what they think your expectations are??

Looking at it, it's me that has different expectations @greenspace . That's why I am so keen to hear of more strategies that work.

I'm such an organised person, anything beyond this is hard for me even to imagine!

However, the why it was set out in Topic Tuesday // ADHD // Tuesday 22nd February, 7:00- 8:30PM AEDT was such an eye-opener. Makes so much more sense now!

@Jynx , @tyme 

I do everything for my husband 

And have to remind him of what is going on next and then remind him of what we are doing now 

It's fascinating and sometimes frustrating, how differently people's brains work. 

I used to work in event management and communications, and I was good at it. The adrenaline from deadlines and the dopamine from seeing my work pay off were great for my ADHD brain. 

At home, though, I was a procrastinating mess, because there were no exciting deadlines, just daily chores, and no one saying "great work" if I hung my clothes up... 

The How To ADHD videos on YouTube are helping me learn more about how to manage daily life stuff, particularly the Motivation Bridge and the Wall Of Awful. And from the comments on those videos, they help a lot of other people understand their own and other people's brains 

@tyme wrote:

I've got a question. 

Do you have other strategies that help you get through the day? Do you find lists helpful or more stressful?

Learning to unmask is something that may take time but has ultimately been suuuuper helpful for me! Unmasking is sorta like... diving into and recognising all of the habits, coping mechanisms and other defences you've built up over the years to try to 'fit in' - a.k.a. your mask - and choosing whether or not those things are serving you or not. 

So for example, I find that it is really helpful to say things out loud if I want to have a better chance at remembering them. My working memory is already at a disadvantage, so giving it an auditory memory as well is really helpful. So much so that sometimes I'll just end up talking to myself as I'm walking around my house. But it's like I'm just constantly giving myself a pep talk hehe
"Okay Jynx, you know you got up for a reason, what was it?"
"Bins bins bins don't forget the bins!" 

"The confirmation code was 1234 don't forget 1234" 

Also, I allow myself to fidget wayyyy more, and well, a big part of unmasking for me has been fully embracing my chaotic, energetic approach to social situations. I used to get mega anxiety, but am now a lot more comfortable being super passionate about my current hyperfocus, for anyone who will listen. And since I'm very open about my neurodiversity, people know from the get go what to expect from me. If they find me too overwhelming, that's fine, they can put their boundaries into place and step away. But I refuse to dull my shine for anyone else! REFUSE! 😄

Tips and tricks... hmm well I set like a million alarms! They remind me of all the stuff I would otherwise forget. Plus having multiple alarms helps me be on time - one to wake me, one to actually get me out of bed and stop me playing chicken with the snooze button, and then one to tell me when I have 5 minutes left to leave the house. That last one is essential, because I often get caught up in stuff and don't realise how much time is passing. 

Lists are both helpful and not... like I never have one big master 'to-do' list because it easily overwhelms me! Plus, I often find myself pointedly ignoring them. I try to keep a diary (but have to set an alarm to remind me to actually use it lol) so that I don't double-book myself, and will only make to-do lists for like, specific days (e.g. if I'm going away, I'll make a list for the few days before to help me ensure I've packed everything and sorted everything out at home, like not leaving leftovers in the fridge to go bad). You gotta find what works for you! 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance