Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Ask Anything Monday: Have a question you feel too apprehensive to ask?

That's right @Pia .... that's what the forums are all about ..... and this is the only one I have been on.

It really helps to know you are not alone.

🌷

Ask Anything Monday banner.png

Hi everyone - happy Monday.

We have an Ask Anything Monday question! I hope you can help out:

I'm a 21 year old bartender who moved out of my family home a few months ago. In the last few months both my mum and my sister have been struggling with suicidal thoughts. My mum has recently checked herself into a psych hospital near my house but I have only visited once because it brings back some memories from when she was in one as a child. I want to do everything I can to support them but my sister is struggling with histrionic personality disorder and is very difficult to handle. She's only 14 and doesn't necessarily understand what is going on. If anyone has any advice on how I can take care of my own mental health so I can help take care of them I would love the advice. 

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

The first advice I would offer you is to connect with the community here on Carer's forum. We are a caring group of people who help to walk impeach other through the trials of the day caring for family members with mi challenges, although some of us are (also?) self-carers with mi issues too.

The first rule of caring needs to be prioritising yourself as much as the person or people you are caring for .... and it is important, where possible, for them to acknowledge your needs too. Carer burnout is a real thing, so self-care activities need to be high on your to-do list somewhere.

Respite services help, so make use of any available.

Accessing a psychologist for your own carer support can be a smart move too - see your gp as a starting point. That is more a preventative measure for carers ...... helping to keep you out of anxiety or depression territory yourself as a consequence of the heavy emotional outlay it takes to support the ones you love.

I hope this helps.

🌷F&H
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance