Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

DeeElysia
Contributor

Advice needed!!

Hi im a 26 yr old carer for my husband who is 32. Hes been up and down for the 10 yrs we have been together with anxiety and depression.. on and off meds.

Nearly a year ago out of the blue while off meds for a couple of years. He started to believe he was being followed,mobile hacked,tracked,poisoned,thought he was in an intervention.. the list continues. After a couple of weeks i try to convince him to go back on meds and see his GP. He believed nothing was wrong but the obvious that he was having this happened to him.

Broke the last straw when after weeks of thinking i was involved and against him i decided to leave with our 3 yr old to stay with my family. At the time he stayed at his brothers for support.

I saw him a couple of time during out 2 week separation and noticed he was worse and told him unless he got a mental health assessment that myself and our daughter wouldn't be in his life.

He did do exactly what I asked and was sent into the mental health ward that same day, he kept asking if he was in a safe place and even called the police as he believed that he was going to get shot. He reported his brother and wife thinking they tried to poison him while he was there and he assumed their house got broken into taking pics of it.
He thought his brothers tunes he was playing was meant to give out clues as to what was happening.. thinking the music was telling him id been raped and our daughter kidnapped.

He stayed at the hospital put on meds.. came out into my care 3 days later. Got off meds 3 wks after that thinking the meds were actually drugs.

Hes in a better place a year on but i still notice his paranoia and he says things thats not right. I have no support his family have stepped back as we don't get along they blame me for him not keeping ontop of his meds. Hes 32 i have no control.

I need some advice as to what does this sound like he has?? And what can i do when hes still believing that things are going on... he thinks our place has cameras, that maybe hes in a witness protection program or that his privacy is being breached he keeps saying our 3 yr old isnt herself and wants her to get a full bod x ray... that someone else is making her play up etc...

Should I be worried? Can it get worse? Will it ever get better? Im very stressed myself over it and don't know how much more I can take.

I need real advise experience for either carers or people. I have been doing this for way too long to sit unsure.

Thanks in advance.

Dee xx
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Advice needed!!

Hi Dee

This Artaud one of the moderators for Sane. I noticed your post and  wanted to tell you over the years I have heard many similar stories. It is hard when our loved ones are unwell and dont recognise that they are unwell. We know when people takes there meds they begin to move into recovery. I hope you get some great support from your fellow forum members.  I look forward to your post in the future and hope through this forum you get some of the answers you are looking for.

Regards

Artaud

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @DeeAlysia

Can I please preface my reply in saying I do tend to be blunt and perhaps a little clinical, but I am very much aware of the emotional difficulties.

In dealing with mental illness it is important to educate yourself to be able to understand what is happening. Lack of communication with and information given to carers is a recurring theme and it is important to establish clear roles with the treating team so as to understand how you fit in. As soon as practical it is best to ensure that your husband has given permission for you to be told of his condition. Get this documented and when dealing with docs, Centrelink etc. always refer to yourself as his carer not his wife (but be mindful as your husband may not appreciate the term and I explain to my husband that it is an administrative thing). If possible, this can be legally formalized, each state has it's own rules regarding medical guardianship. The reason I say this is that each state has rules under the mental health act in relation to how doctors in public health system MUST engage with carers.

First episode psychosis can often be an indicator of an underlying major psychiatric illness.

It might be helpful to find out what if any diagnosis was given during his 3 day stay in hospital.

Psychiatric diagnosis is not always bit can be a drawn out process as it relies on observation of symptoms. The carer should be involved in this as the patient often does not give adequate of correct information and can often feel the doctors are out to get them.

The purpose of drugs given to patients with a psychotic disorder is to reduce symptoms so the patient can function; they are not a cure. Often a patient needs to be on them for life. Most of these drugs have side effects and it can be a process finding a drug that suits. Taking medication regularly is a problem for a lot of patients and they often end up on depot injections which are an injectable slow release form of a drug given monthly or fortnightly.

Psychotic disorders are often associated with what is medically called loss of insight.

Loss of insight can lead to patients rejecting treatment. In the "what's new" tab there is a post on loss of insight and this will give you links to two YouTube sessions that are super helpful. My husband has had psychosis and loss of insight and I was helped greatly by listening to the talks.

Mental illness is a diagnosis that affects the whole family not just the patient. It puts a strain on the most robust of relationships. It is vital that you get some support happening for yourself, learning healthy coping methods the earlier the better. There is a fabulous Qld website that walks you through mental health starting with diagnosis.

http://mhr4c.com.au

(Loss of insight is referred to on this site and the LEAP method is explained in the YouTube talks I previously mention end).

Hope this helps, am happy to answer questions.

Darcy

Thanks for both replys.

Do any of you think it might be schizophrenia? And any insight to what i can might expect?
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @DeeAlysia

We cannot give a diagnosis. It is really important to try and get him assessed again.

Looking at the loss of insight sessions might help you in how to go about this.

Ensure that you have questions ready (write them down and be firm in demanding answers). If your husband ends up back in hospital ensure there is a documented follow up plan in place before you leave.

Major psychiatric disorders are draining on the carer and you need to ensure you get some help and support.

If you are happy to tell me what state you are in I can give you some carer support links.
Darcy
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @DeeAlysia
Just do you know, this is a brief summary of my story. After 10 years of not overly successful treatment for ocd/anxiety my husband ended up in what I presume was a psychotic state interstate after going awol from home. He came home and over a period of 2 years continued to be very unwell and had delusional (psychotic) depression with suicide attempts. At present his working diagnosis is bipolar ii but alternatives include insidious onset schizophrenia.
D

Hi @DeeElysia,

You can get strong neurotoxin issues from simply having a bad liver. There was a story about Alice Gibson-Watt recently (a respected Antiques Roadshow expert), who had a rupted liver after giving birth. She had strong paranoid delusions, and was doing her best but couldn't get across what she wanted. She was put into a mental hospital where a psychiatrist gave her something to "settle down", and she soon after had a heart-attack. Only afterwards did they find out what happened...

You really should look at first causes, and assume that he's doing his uttmost be be sane but his body wont let him. One of the best ever liver-detox methods is cranberries and lemon water for a day and no food, and see what happens. There is nothing to lose and you should know that way if the cause is more health related than stress/psychological.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hey @DeeElysia

This link may or may not help you.

http://www.schizophrenia.com/family/FAQpartner.htm
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance