Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

flybluebird
Senior Contributor

Wellbeing Intentions

Setting Intentions for the New Year with Wellbeing Goals

It is the new year & thought we’d chat a bit about resolutions. Myself and other’s here have never been one to make a new year resolution as we find them unachievable, which can drive guilt and a sense of failure when we inevitably break them.

I know though, that for some they can be a great motivator or at least spur the concept of self reflection and prompt questions around what people want to perhaps spend more energy on.
This may identify things which may have been missing or hopes going into a new year cycle.

With this in mind, we do like the idea of setting wellbeing goals every day, all year round and I thought it might be nice to create a space to share these with each other.

So why don’t we start off the new year being kind and patient with ourselves and approach our mental health in a way that feels great for us each day, week or month.

Really, in whatever way works for you!

If you feel in any way pressured by NY resolutions, we have a reference that has been shared before in other wellbeing discussions by our lovely CG member @Shaz51 called - “8 Dimensions of Wellness”. (Link to discussion here if you’re interested in more info.)

8-Dimensions-new-colors.png

This might just be a helpful diagram for anyone who would like to give a wellbeing goal / intention a go & is feeling stuck?

We would like to invite you to share 3 wellbeing goals or intentions that you may like to hold for yourself going into 2022.

I will start it off with mine.
Going into 2022 I would like to;
1) Make more time for play 👩‍🎤👩‍🎨💃🛼🎨🎮
2) Appreciate moments of joy 🌸🪶🦋👣

3) Continue to learn new things 👁🦻✍️🎧

We’d really love to hear yours?!

I’ll start by tagging those of you who were interested in this discussion & Take it over to you!  @Shaz51 @Judi9877 @ShiningStar @Paperdaisy @Rhye @cloudcore 

<<<<AND>>>>
In case you want more?
We leave you with a few inspiring threads that happen regularly here on the forums in case you’d like more contribution & support for your goals going forward!
Our wonderful community members @Teej & @Judi9877 have started these threads:

Daily goals, motivation and check in created by @Teej 
https://saneforums.org/t5/Looking-after-ourselves/Daily-goals-motivation-and-check-in/td-p/416029/pa...

Daily Achievements! created by @Judi9877 
https://saneforums.org/t5/Looking-after-ourselves/Daily-Achievements/m-p/1034243/highlight/true#M791...

23 REPLIES 23

Re: Wellbeing Intentions

Thank you @flybluebird, I really appreciate the space created here to reflect on the year ahead. So often I can trudge right through without stopping to think about how I want the next few weeks or months/year to look. I think it might really help to try and take a step back and consider what is important for me, and the steps I can take to make more of the good stuff happen.

So with that, here are my intentions for the new year:

• Re-engage in creative practice – in my previous career I was a graphic designer. I was drawn to this work because I was craving creativity in my life, and I thought what better way than to be paid to be creative...fast forward ten years and as so many designers will attest to, it's so easy to lose the passion and creative practice when you're knee deep in client briefs! So, I want to be able to re-ignite the creative flame by exploring new mediums and forms of artistic expression, free from the constraints of external expectation. I'm going to tag @DogMan79 here because you inspired me to pursue this goal this morning, thank you 😊

• Daily emotion check-in – oh dang, the theme is strong...I have a tendency, as mentioned above, to barrel through things. Setting up a time each day to connect to my feelings is probably a wise and kind thing to do for myself.

• Enjoy the small moments – as above 🤭Sometimes I'm guilty of missing the small moments of joy. Yesterday I took my dog for a walk. It had been raining and I noticed a faint smell of damp earth (I was on the edge of bushland). I would normally be oblivious to it but after reading through this nature thread, it reminded me to stop to smell the roses, or in this case, the earth 😊 and it felt so calming...not sure how everyone else feels right now but it was such a good reminder that while there is a lot of gloom about atm, there is still wind in the trees, a cycle of evaporation and condensation, and that if my dog can get a buzz from walking through it, so can I.

I'm tagging @Molly22, just in case you feel inclined to share your intentions (no pressure, promise). Looking forward to reading what everyone else here in SANE land has in store for 2022 🎉

You have both inspired me @flybluebird @Rhye💝

I would like to..

Make time to be in nature- I find nature so healing, particularly the ocean. I love a walk on a long and empty beach at dusk

Make time for yoga

Be kind to myself 

Sounds like I just need to make more time in my day for myself 😊here's my reminder to do that!

My 3 intentions for this year are:

1. take day by day and enjoy each little moment
  2. learn to become stronger mentally & physically
  3. continue my walking daily

@flybluebird @Paperdaisy @Rhye 

@flybluebird  @Rhye 

I am usually loathed to make "new years resolutions" as such.  Especially after the last few years we have all lived through.  I find that each year at this time I tell myself that this is finally going to be MY year and good thing will happen, only to have those hopes and dreams dashed pretty quickly.  Especially this year.  So far it has both blown and sucked.

But I do have some things I would like to work towards in life moving forward.

1. Spiritual Practise:  a couple of months ago I found a meditation app that I have been using pretty much every single morning before I get out of bed.  I have been an on again, off again meditator for most my life.  Much more 'off again' the past (more than just a few) years.  But this app has different disciplines and I'm really drawn to the zen and koan practise.  I have started to read up on this practise and would like to get more into it.  The practise itself is helpful but also learning about the philosophy behind it is also really great for my mental health.

2. Weight loss: yes yes yes... I know.  every-one has that goal this time of year.  But during my journey to be diagnosed as autistic I was mis-diagnosed with a butt-load of different things and two years ago put on a couple of different meds, all of which lead to me gaining a massive amount of weight.  I haven't seen my kids in 2 years and just the thought of seeing them at this current size is terrifying.  And my youngest is getting married this year and there is NO WAY I want to be in his wedding photo's looking like the.  About a month ago I quit sugar.  I have been learning to eat healthy.  No sure if you know this but autistics are the fussiest and worst eaters you can imagine.  And at my age it is starting to have some negative health impacts beyond just looking fat.

3. Explore my creativity more:  I have been working as a professional photographer for over a decade now.  A couple of years ago I wanted to learn to graphic design and I have played around with that somewhat.  Nowhere near as much as I would like.  My youngest is a graphic designer and very talented.  It is definitely something I would like to explore further.  Just a few weeks ago I added video to portfolio and I have been having fun learning new software and techniques and I really want to stretch my creative muscle and find new and interesting things to shoot and ways to shoot it.  Every year I set targets for sales of my work and I have so far managed to reach each one.  This year I have set a big target so that will be a huge challenge, but at the moment work is about the only thing that gives me real joy, so I am up for the challenge.

Love these @Molly22! I think I can really identify with all three you've listed. 

I would love to add video skills to my toolbox. Which program are you using? 

@Rhye  I wished I had done video WAY sooner.  I got a drone a couple of years ago when I was still shooting real estate.  But I never really did much video which I am now absolutely spewing about.  We used to live on the coast in a place that was just made for making gorgeous video's.  What a waste.

So I have a few programs.  I have Adobe Rush, which I had never used before.  It's pretty simple and basic which is great.  I also have DaVinci which is really complicated but great for when you need to make more adjustments.  Going to take me awhile to fully learn that program.  

hello @flybluebird@Rhye@Molly22@BlueBay@Paperdaisy 

putting my thinking cap on and thinking 

I am Going into 2022 I would like to;
1) spend more time in nature and taking photos as often as I can 😍 even daily if I can and even in my own backyard will be great ❤️
2) less workload and more relaxing -- which will be good for me but also for my husband and my elderly mum to have me around more ☝️❤️
3) to continue helping and supporting members on the Sane Forum and in real life , and to be there more for my 4 step children , daughter in law, son inlaw and Mother inlaw  😍

tagging @Smc@Dimity@Determined@Adge@Scoo@Schitzo@Emelia8@Peri@Jacques@Wanderer@Krishna@FindingStrength@oceangirl 

@Shaz51  I do hope you will share some of your pics with us. 👍

You have a drone, and a sheep?!! I'm so jealous over here 🤗Kudos to you for learning the programs, I feel after learning Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign I'm spent, so I admire you for sticking with learning the programs.

I've been really enjoying a few ABC productions of late that utilise drone footage, they have a real talent for it.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance