Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery Club

Donna2
New Contributor

Diagnosis

Hi, I was put on antidepressants many years ago by a GP.  since then each new GP has just continued to give me the same meds.  I am curious how others have been given an actual diagnosis of their mental health condition.  I have my "guess" of what mine are, but would like formal diagnosis and just don't know how or who can do this?  TIA

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Diagnosis

Hi there @Donna2 ,

Welcome to the forums. 

I'm sure people have many different experiences, but just to share mine, I was diagnosed by psychiatrists while in hospital.

I've also been mis-diagnosed by some psychiatrists, so I guess if something doesn't 'sit right', it may be worthwhile getting a second opinion.

Do you (or have you ever had) a mental health care plan? I believe you have to have a diagnosis there as part of the care plan so that you can get subsidised appointments for mental health.

This is just my experience. Others may have their own private psychiatrists that they've seen to get a diagnosis. Others may have a mental health care team who work together to diagnose and support.

Do you have any mental health supports?

Hey @Donna2 

Welcome to the forums. Personally, I was diagnosed by a psychiatrist. My GP is great, but she consults with my psychiatrist for things like a diagnosis. I know the costs for seeing a psychiatrist can be prohibitive and bulk billing psychiatrists are hard to find these days. So a lot of people do get diagnosed by their GP. The other option as @tyme mentioned would be to get a mental health plan to see a psychologist. 

Hi @Donna2 

Like others have suggested,  I would recommend a mental health plan from the gp, so you can see a Psychiatrist and get a proper diagnosis. 

I have been on the same medication for 24 years. It is however,  increased/ decreased  depending on my current mental health condition. 

I hope you are able to get the answers you are looking for.  

Hi @Donna2 

I got my diagnosis at hospital and then went to GP where a mental health plan was made. Yup while I got a discounted rate for 10 sessions, for me it was a waste of money.  I got more value from 1 course I did from the Recovery & Wellbeing College, Kogarah (which is free) than all my 10 sessions.  Hope this finds you well............Asgard

Hi @Donna2 ,

How are you going? Thinking of you.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance