Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum News and Updates

kristin
Senior Contributor

"Bad" words

Dear SANE,

The forum is wonderful - far better than I imagined or hoped when I joined. Thank you!

Could we please have a list of the "bad" words via email to make some sensible suggestions on ammendments? R00ts and G00k? Really? I have not seen anything on this forum that suggests that people are going to use abusive or insulting language - even when they are clearly quite unwell. Please treat us as adults not preschoolers! I believe there are enough sensible and supportive people who are highly active here (in addtition to the wonderful modsSmiley Happy) that if anyone ever was abusive it would be reported almost immediately.

This would have to be the biggest ongoing problem with the forum from day one.Cat Frustrated It is very annoying when you write something totally innocuous only to get the "bad" word error. I know some changes were made in the list, but I think more are needed. At the very least please make us privvy to the words you think we should avoid.

Kind regards,

Kristin

12 REPLIES 12

Re: "Bad" words

Well said Kristin, some of the stop words make no sense at all. Pizza was stopped on one occasion. As was on b***d next to word test.. Such as getting a b***d test is necessary and ordinary for most people for cholesterol, diabetes, Vit D, etc..

Hey @Alessandra1992 & @kristin 

Always welcome your opinions. It means alot to me actually - it shows you care & want to be the best forums they can be.

I think there have been some bugs over the time that has stopped words that haven't been on our list (pizza!? wasn't aware of that one!!!) Those kinks should be ironed out. If you ever get an odd one like pizza again - let me know.

There is another bug at the moment around URL links.. sometimes it stopped people posting, sometimes it  doesn't. We're trying to sort that one out too.

We took your previous feedback and revised our words. Blood is a word that you should be able to use.

I tend to agree with you Kristin - the community is a great group of people. However, it's been the use of these filters that has assisted in ensuring that. The list of words also prevents a huge amount of spam spoiling our fun 🙂

I'm very open to case by case scenarios. If you come up against the 'bad word' filter and you feel the word is ridiculous, please email us (team@saneforums.org) and the forums team will meet and discuss. It helps us to see words that we may not have thought of as being used frequently in other contexts.

Funny story - One of the first things I had to do when I started with SANE was to go through the 'bad list' - take things out, add things to it.... if someone from work, who didn't know what I was doing, was to check my search history at that time, they would be disgusted! I didn't know some of the phrases and words, so I had to google them!

As I said, we're happy to look at them case by case - so please email us. Even though we've been going since May, we're still working together with you all to figure out what is working & what isn't.

🙂

kato
Senior Contributor

I think with this forum many of us understand the tactful line of writing to post what is needed yes sometimes a word will be banned but...... with a forum likr this there needs to be banned words the effect a turn of phrase one might be fine with might just catastrophy someone else's mood or spirit.
I know myself I use many phrases in my personal life that don't affect me but I know they would make some others have an issue with.
I am happy with the bad word filter system they have in place.
I know someone might say something that might crush me and it has happened and it was something innocuous that I took the wrong way..... However I paused took 3 breaths reread it again and realised it was not meant in the initial way I took it
Lol
I make no sense today but I am with the sane forum teams way of moderating the forum

With you on that one Kato, especially when stupid autocorrect adds ezlxtr words, like that version of extra..
And here's an Ode

Ode to the Moderators

How tricky it must be
To moderate what one sees
And keeping forum on track
Means not much room for slack

Thanks team @niknik, @cherrybomb,@hobbit, @baloo

And any other moderators I missed..still don't get drop down when I use @... When using phone and Chrome browser!

Thanks Sandy, Smiley Happy

Now I need to talk to you about pizza. In all seriousness it's very bad for you, the food not the word. (I'm laughing because of the filter, but I'm also in earnest.) Especially if you like ham or salami with your cheese. Seriously carcinogenic combination.

I found out a few years ago - my foster father was a food chemist by profession for many years (he's an inventor now). I have vegetarian or seafood now, because I love the stuff (when I can afford it). Still working on teaching my kids, so probably just as well I can't afford it!

Kind regards,

Kristin

Thanks for that Nik,

Ok I will email you from now on. 

In all earnesty though, please can you run the whole list by those of us who are prepared to stomach it and give some feedback? If we at least knew what was on it then we could avoid those words.

I can't tell you how frustrating it is to write something completely innocuous and have it jump up. This is especially irritating when you are trying to quickly finish a post to encourage someone just before 10pm close, only to tangle with an improbably "bad" word and be pipped at the post by the clock. 

Kind regards,

Kristin

@Alessandra1992 .....what a wonderful little poem you have made!! 

Thank you so much, I think that's really sweet.

Yep, sometimes moderating can be tricky....but mostly when I get to converse with all you wonderfully awesome people, it is an absolute pleasure. I feel I have connected with many of you.. @PeppiPatty , @MrsC , @BananaHammock , @Pen ....the list goes on, I would've forgetten many more...hopefully they will get to read this sometime as well.

Believe me, it's YOU guys that give me strength, often when I read your stories, I put your advice into my own daily life.

So thank you all for making a big contribution to my life!!

Hobbit.

Huh Kristin's ....um..... Carcinogenic..... What does that mean???
???

Where's my dictionary?

@PeppiPatty Sorry just saw this post now.

I've been off the air a bit.

Carcinogenic means cancer causing or tending to cause cancer.

@NikNik another "bad" word issue. I was writing f0rced.

I keep asking this: please, if you don't want to list them on the forum, can you send those of us who want to know a list of these "bad" words so we can question them and also avoid them. I think I'm not the only one who's asked this either, was it @Alessandra1992 too?

Kind regards,

Kristin

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance