Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

CherryBomb
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday Tonight **closed** - BPD: Debunking the myths

BPD is a mental illness that is often misundertood, and burdened with heavy stigma. Quite often people place it in the 'too hard' basket labelling the disorder as impossible to treat. This Topic Tuesday we want to dubunk myths just like these.

For this month's session, I'm pleased to announce that will have Sonia Neale, the SANE ricipient of the Hocking Fellowship, joining us to talk about BPD. Sonia has a wealth of knowledge, not only from professional expertise and her own resarch on BPD, but she also brings her own lived experience that informs her approach to work. She is a great example of the knowledge and expertise that exists within lived experiences.

So come along this Tuesday 7-9pm AEST to help us debunk the myths and reveal the facts about BPD.

Click like if you're going to be there!

109 REPLIES 109

Re: Topic Tuesday 16/06 - BPD: Debunking the myths

It's borderline if I can make it or not 😉

ok, sorry that was a terrible joke

I do have 2 friends with this diagnosis, my time tonight is restricted, I would love to be here.

If not, I am honestly looking forward to read tomorrow.

One thing so comforting about this forum is you never need to think or say be kind to each other.

One thing i will say to every one is 

pls be kind to yourself

Wombat/Matt

Re: Topic Tuesday Tonight starting at 7pm AEST - BPD: Debunking the myths

Goodevening and welcome to June's Topic Tuesday on BPD, I'm so excited to have Sonia Neale joining us. Welcome @BlueButterfly50!

And welcome to those who have RSVP'd @pjc11 @lilly1979 @Shadow @alittleprincess @Managirl2 @psychebelle21 @astrengthinever @Jacques and @Linmerc

Hi Everyone it's great to be here and I'm ready for all your questions.

Hello

Hi Crazy Bug Lady, I love your name.

Nice to see you at @Crazy_Bug_Lady and @Jacques - welcome to the conversation!

@BlueButterfly50 I often hear people say that BPD can come out of the blue, is this true? Aren't personality disorders something enduring?

Thanks.
My laptops not working.... so I'm on my phone...

Hi @BlueButterfly50

Thankyou so much for taking the time to answer our questions, it is much appreciated and valued.

My background: i have never been formally diagnosed, i have been housebound for 14 years, through various life experiances i removed myself off from people and society, 14 years is a long time,i have been to various mental health websites and doing the questionairs i suffer sever anxiety and depression with suicidal tendancies.

my questions is:

i have extreemly low moods to the point of ending my own life, but i never experiance the highs, reading about BPD in text books and online BPD is subject to the thoughts of the psycologist you are seeing at the time.

my mood is all over the place i can change from one minute to the next, this makes life very difficult for my family for they never know what mood i am in at any given moment.

is it possble i have BPD?

I would like to say that for about 13 yrs I had a diagnosis of bpd and was treated terribly by the very people I was asking to help me. 3 yrs ago I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder and was treated with so much more respect and understanding. Even some of the same people who treated me yrs ago third attitude changed. It makes me so angry that by 1 label I could get treated so badly!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance