Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday **closed** // 19 Jan, 7pm AEDT // Music Therapy

Neuroscience-of-music1.jpg

What is Music Therapy?

During this Topic Tuesday we will be looking Music Therapy and answering questions like - Who does it help? How does it help? Do I have to be able to play the piano like Billy Joel to be able to participate?

We are also keen for members who have tried or are currently involved in music therapy to share their experiences.

@Acacia will be hosting the night, along with a special guest, registered music therapist Lisa-Marie Bartlett. Lisa-Marie has worked as a music therapist for 8 years, and has experience in mental health acute care and rehabilitation, and grief and loss. She will share her experience and answer your questions about the role music can play in looking after our mental health.

So if you have questions or have experiences to share, hit the like button below and we will 'see' you at 7pm AEDT on Tuesday Smiley Very Happy

66 REPLIES 66

Re: Topic Tuesday // 19 Jan, 7pm AEDT // Music Therapy

Thank you for joining us tonight @LM_Bee and welcome Forum members to tonight's discussion on music therapy.

Thanks for having me tonight.  Am excited to help people learn a little bit about music therapy, and talk about ways we can all use music to help ourselves!

I'll get us started with a question to Lisa-Marie. @LM_Bee, what is music therapy?

Great place to start @Acacia.   

Music therapy is a research-based practice and profession in which music is used to actively support people as they strive to improve their health, functioning and wellbeing.

So what does that actually mean???  Well, like a psychologist or counsellor may use language-based strategies or particular activities to help people, Music Therapists use a range of music making methods in addition to general counselling/therapy support.

It sounds really interesting. Could you explain a bit more about the music making methods you mention?

Sure thing @Acacia.  Music making methods just refers to the different ways that we use music to help support people.  Typical things that we might do in a session include:

• listening to live or recorded music
  • analysing song lyrics and meanings, and discussing what this might mean to us
  • music and relaxation strategies
  • singing
  • improvisation
  • playing or learning an instrument
  • group music sessions (think big drumming groups!)
  • putting together playlists

And don't forget that Music Therapists also use general counselling support too (in addition to the music side of things)! 

It's interesting to know that a session will include counselling as well as music making. Could you explain what it is about music that can help with mental health and wellbeing? I'm also wondering, how do the music making and counselling complement one another?

Hi everyone, just saw that this was happening and it is so interesting. I wish there was something like this near where I live. 

I think there are so many reasons why music can help with mental health and well-being. 

Have you ever listened to a song and really related to the words or the music? It can be so comforting to hear someone else expressing something similar to how you are feeling or what you are thinking. You don’t feel as alone.

There's a lot of research that shows the positive effect of listening to music on our moods.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance