Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Resilience as a response to discrimination // CLOSED

Living proud logo.png

To mark International Day against Homophobia, transphobia & Biphobia, Forum partner Living Proud will join us to discuss building resilience as a response to discrimination.

Join us from 7pm AEST, Tuesday 17 May.

Three things you can do now:

1. Become a member of the Forums to participate in the session

2. Hit 'Like' below to recieve an email reminder on the night

3. Can't make the session? Leave a question below and we will answer it Tuesday night

84 REPLIES 84

Re: Topic Tuesday // Resilience as a response to discrimination // Tues, 17 May, 7pm AEST

Welcome to this month's Topic Tuesday. @RossQLife is joining us from Qlife, one of Living Proud's partner organisations. Welcome @RossQLife!

And welcome to @Shaz51 @Former-Member @Suzanne1 @MoonGal @Kurra @Furby 

Tonight we're discussing resilience as a response to discrimination. Whether you have a MI or identify as LGBTI, you're white or black, discrimination is something that has touched many of us. 

But tonight, we thought it would be particular relevant seeing it's IDAHOT

@RossQLife  can you explain the significance of this day?

Re: Topic Tuesday // Resilience as a response to discrimination // Tues, 17 May, 7pm AEST

Hi all! I’m Ross, and I work at a service called QLife. We provide phone counselling and web counselling for LGBTI people, and are run by staff and volunteers who talk about resilience all the time to people who contact us. For LGBTI people in particular, resilience is something that is learned to survive everyday experiences, particularly of discrimination. I can relate to this personally! I’m really excited to explore the benefits of resilience (but also too maybe how resilience can keep us stuck) in tonight’s forum with you all J

Also… many thanks to the team at Living Proud, who can’t be here tonight for setting this up. They do amazing for around IDAHoT day, and I’d love to talk more about this too!

Fantastic @RossQLife! Can you tell us more about IDAHot?

IDAHoT, or IDAHoBiT, day is an international day of recognising the impact that discrimination can make in the lives of LGBTI people. It started over a decade ago (I think) in the US (I think) and over the last few years it's become really widespread and powerful. A great way for LGBTI people to feel connected, and for non-LGBTI people to show their support.

I wonder if anyone here has seen or participated in IDAHoT events today?

@RossQLife The impact of discrimination can be profound. Can you tell us how this ties into resilience?

Sure, Cherry.

LGBTI people face some pretty complex situations in their life where discrimination is the theme. It can be overt, or discreet, and sadly can happen at any time. As you can imagine, this takes a toll, and often the end result worked out over years is a sense of resilience, of being able to cope when knocks come your way.

Hi @RossQLife 

Thanks for being here to participate in a timely and interesting Topic. Happy IDAHOT day...

rainbow.png

Hi @MoonGal! Looking forward to the discussion and feeling very welcome so far Cat Very Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance