Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Re: Inner Family Systems

That word usage was from another website, which helps to explain the development and dynamic of sub-personalities, but I think I glanced past the word "false" as just their interpretation of the original teachings by Dr Schwartz .....

My focus had been on finding a substantial list of sub-personalities, and they did state also that the list is not exhaustive.

You are right re earlier post .... this system of understanding our inner world has so much integrity and relatability that many others in the field have picked it up and run with it .... but I don't agree that any of our sub-personalities are false .... caught up in schemas, yes ...... and behaving in ways that are not natural to their positive function until those schemas are addressed, but that was very clear in Dr Schwartz own explanation in the video clip you posted on another thread.

I will try to find it and repost it here .... it is lengthy, but worth watching with the framework that I have (hopefully) provided clearly enough above.

Yes @

His point is more that behaviours have continuums and motives and dynamcis and that self awareness about our own patterns will help us from getting stuck on auto pilot .. in a behaviour or attitide that no longer serves us... I like that he also has a stated "learning edge" regarding the personality .. 

Sorry .... forgot to tag you into that last one @Appleblossom ....

I love my Jester / Clown sub-personality ..... even though I know that one can get a bit out of hand for some people, and at times for me, when you use it as a shield to avoid having to communicate with someone on a deeper level .... but at other times that is a fully legitimate response that can take the edge off an uncomfortable situation, or provide a security screen if someone is trespassing your boundaries .....

I also relate strongly to a Peaceful Warrior sub-personality ..... but sometimes "keeping the peace" isn't the right thing to do either .... but if we can accept our inner family with self-compassion, it starts to take the judge mentality out of it, and replace it instead with curiosity and appreciation .... as Dr Schwartz explains. 

Here is Dr Schwartz explaining his Internal Family Systems in his own words ....

https://www.selfleadership.org/about-internal-family-systems.html

It is interesting @Faith-and-Hope

Hello @Appleblossom, @Susanna

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance