Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

hopeandsupport
Senior Contributor

OESTROGEN AND ANTIBODIES

I found out during mental health week that some people develop psychosis because of oestrogen levels and certain antibodies.  i spoke to my gp about it but she said it is unlikely or a very small percentage.  my daughter doesn't want to get a blood test anyway.  just wondering is anyone else has heard of this or has had these tests done. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: OESTROGEN AND ANTIBODIES

Sorry this post was not responded to.

I have a feeling hormones and autoimmune system is involved, more than many GPs are willing to professionally admit.

Ive heard of this.The  links below are about Schizophrenia and Estrogen and the other is about NMDA receptor antibody encephalitis which is about antibodies,particularly to NMDA receptors(there could be other still unknown antibodies implication in some mental illnesses).

Its extremely unfortunate that doctors 95+% of the time do not know about this.

They are often taught a simplified version of mental illness-Ie:that depresion has to do with too low Serotonin and that Schizophrenia is a genetic disorder to do with too much Dopamine.

This is a highly simplified model and doesn't apply to everyone.

The Australian health system treats people in "silos"

Ie:they either have immune symptoms and get sent to an Immunologist or they have "head" symptoms and get sent to a Psychiatrist.Many doctors in this country still cant wrap their head around the fact that a person/s can have "head"(psych) type symptoms caused by an Immune component (for example).

Is there anything in particular that makes you wonder whether hormonal levels or antibodies could be relevant to your daughters situation?

Eg:does she has unusual symptoms or are the standard medications not working etc?

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/758462

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2009/190/4/oestrogen-new-treatment-approach-schizophrenia

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/200/2/92

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/newly-diagnosed-brain-disease-may-be-misdiagnosed-as-psychological-disor...

The human body is so complex and hormones and immunity are just beginning to be understood.  

Hormones are long enzymes and the health field in general is slowly coming to terms with the complex biochemsistry which is a long way from the mechanistic surgical ... cut it out ... model of health that dominated.

I think good GPs are trying but a system like our health system can only change slowly.

I love your posts @ivana they are so thorough and logical.

Thanks

Thanks @Appleblossom,good to hear from you:)

Hello @hopeandsupport 

I hope this message finds you well. I’m interested to know if your daughter ended up having any tests done on her hormone levels and if there has been any further developements.

I experienced my first episode of phychosis earlier in the year and although there would be a number of contributing factors I strongly believe that oestrogen played a pivotal role.

I believe that my phychosis and the associated symptoms were due to a slow build up and then a drop in my oestrogen levels. 

I guess like everyone else I would like to find some answers so that I can better manage and prevent a recurrence.

I’ve not had any children as yet so this will be my next test and then also during menopause.  

Much love

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance