Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

asdfge
Senior Contributor

mental health stigma

Many people hold false beliefs about medications causing cognitive impairment, and people also believe that all forms of drug binges and suicide attempts contribute to people with mental health problems experiencing IQ decrements. I believe that most of these beliefs stem from explicit prejudices- people commonly assume that people with a mental illness have personalities that are low in warmth and that they are somewhat incompetant. I was wondering, if you have had to experience people treating you inappropriately because they wrongly assume that you've suffered brain damage, what coping skills you use to deal with this? Also, do you find yourself needing more reassurance than usual whenever this happens to you? 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: mental health stigma

Wow, @asdfge there's a lot ot digest there. Smiley Indifferent

@asdfge wrote:

I was wondering, if you have had to experience people treating you inappropriately because they wrongly assume that you've suffered brain damage, what coping skills you use to deal with this?

While not specifically relating to assumptions of brain dammage, I used to try to handle people treating me poorly by treating them how I wanted to be treated myself (you know, the 'golden rule'?). But it never worked for me.

So next I tried treating them the way that I figured they wanted to be treated, but that's never worked either. I think it's because I don't really understand what they want, I'm not playing the part they want properly. Then to top it all off you have to wrestle with the anguish of forever play-acting a character that you really don't respect, which really eats away at your resolve to keep playing the part, you know? Which in turn probably degrades the quality of the performance.

TL;DR answer: I don't really know how to handle this situation effectively, sorry Smiley Sad.

@asdfge wrote:

Also, do you find yourself needing more reassurance than usual whenever this happens to you? 

Not so much reassurance as connection, you know? For me, it's moments like that when I especially wish that I had someone there by my side who I can really relate to, you know? Like, that I had at least one example of humanity to contrast with the innumerable foreigners and make me feel that there's someone on this earth for me.

@asdfge 

I have dealt with stigma and discrimination. I have called it out when someone thinks I'm incompetent because I have had mental health issues and suicide attempts.

Even my family called out clinicians when in hospital when they were surprised that I have achieved several Advanced Diplomas.

I am lucky to have family to support me and to remind me of my achievements.

I have an ok self esteem and I "politely" remind people of what I can do and that I can feel just like everyone else.

Thanks @chibam for your reply. It definitely can feel as though speaking to others in this way can take up a lot of energy. And yes, losing that energy can also degrade the quality of the performance. 

As for the second part of the reply message, I know what you mean about needing friendship during times where these things happen more often. It makes it a lot easier when somebody who can relate to the ways that you experience your life is there to talk about it to sometimes.

Hi @jem80,

I think that I somewhat relate to your experience with this. I also have family who do not underestimate the good qualities and strengths that I have, as well as a friend who even goes so far as to remind me of my own achievements as well. 

I think that it is really strange, that some people must truely wonder if I am capable of sensing my life as they can sense theirs. Although, I am happy to read that you are able to express this to some people. 

I hope you have a wonderful night.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance