Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Daisydreamer
Senior Contributor

What topics/discussions would you like to see on the forums in 2022?

Hi there SANE Lived Experience Community 🙂

As we approach the end of the year, we are planning ahead for 2022!

We would love to hear from you what discussions, topics or events you would like to see here in 2022.

You are are welcome to post your ideas below, or email us at team@saneforums.org.

We look forward to bringing more events and discussions to the forums next year, based off your feedback!

Please feel free to tag others 🙂 

22 REPLIES 22

Re: What topics/discussions would you like to see on the forums in 2022?

Severe and chronic pain and the impact it has on our mental health. @Daisydreamer 

Hi @Daisydreamer and others!

I would like to see a discussion or maybe a topic about going into hospital as when I was admitted in September this year, I hadn't been in hospital for many years and didn't know what to expect from being on a psych ward. There are so many different stories and stigma around going into hospital that I think having someone who works on a hospital ward would help me and others. It's only since being on a ward that I now realise it isn't as scary as people make it out to be and that maybe giving people tips on what to bring for a stay would be helpful.

I'd also like to see something on Creativity and mental health as a way of talking about ideas about how to be creative and expressing your thoughts and ideas in a creative way. I've learnt that this is a topic I'm interested in as a way of helping me deal with my mental illnesses and one that my psychologist is very interested in exploring further.

Again, these are just some ideas of mine which I thought other forum members might be interested in.

Judi9877☺️💐

Self harm please @Daisydreamer 

good Topics  there @Anastasia@Judi9877@Emelia8 

hello @Daisydreamer 

also physical health and mental health 

what would you like to see @BlueBay@Appleblossom@Jacques@MDT@TAB@Meowmy@Bow@Peri@Owlunar@NatureLover@outlander@Snowie@Eve7@pancakes@Adge@AussieRecharger@Dimity@Olga@HenryX@BPDSurvivor@Historylover@Faith-and-Hope 

Hey @Daisydreamer - more about BPD & ptsd and chronic medical conditions. Maybe even where members of lived experience can run a topic Tuesday maybe. Also seeing the peer support workers run more groups on here

@Shaz51 @Daisydreamer ìt would be good to find safe ways to share re. managing some common medication side-effects such as weight gain and low energy. Comorbidities. Loneliness.  Coping with and without NDIS supports. And a metathread about forum features and foibles - tech issues and suggestions. 

Some of this year's topic tuesdays have been really good, and I wouldn't say that a topic being covered this year should preclude it from being re-visited again next year.

A few ideas:

* How To Talk To People About Your Mental Health, ect.

Sort of like a reverse to the RUOK Day approach. RUOK puts out heaps of tutorials for acquaintances of mentally ill/struggling/unhappy/ect. on how to approach & talk to the suffering people they know. But what always frustrates me is that there's barely any information provided to the other side of the table; if you are the person suffering, how do you get the people around you to listen to you and to understand what your saying - including the importance of what your saying. So it might be helpful to have a seminar on how to talk to outsiders about these sorts of things.

* Harmful Therapy

I'm sure that trauma has been discussed extensively before, but IMHO, harmful therapy is a very unique brand of trauma, because normally, one of the main perscribed remedies for trauma is to go to therapy. But for people who have suffered harmful therapy, this means returning to the very entity that abused them, which can make that reccommendation difficult, if not impossible to follow.

Making it worse are the numerous shallow "acknowledgements" of harmful therapy that you can see all over the place that basically tells therapy victims that they ought to "just get back on the horse", because "you can't let one bad experiance turn you away from therapy forever."

So maybe it might be helpful to have a three-pronged discussion about this subject:

1. To enlighten others as to why harmful therapy is such a big deal for the people who have suffered it, and why we can't "just move on to another therapist."

2. To give harmed patients a bit of information about where we go next, after bad therapy as turned us off of therapy.

3. To talk about ways to remove the bias/judgementalism that grows out of our bitterness towards therapy; so that we can guage mental health, ect. topics clearly and fairly.

I've made no secret of the fact that I was harmed in therapy, and I've encountered numerous other users on here who have been harmed by their therapists, as well. So I think a topic like this would have some real interest.

* Exploitation, Manipulation, Abuse (specifically from "trusted" individuals) and Betrayal

Probably overlaps a bit with Harmful Therapy, but it is also very relevant outside the therapy sphere. Good sub-topics might be:

1. How to recognize if you are being exploited or covertly abused.

2. How to stop people from exploiting you.

3. How to build new relationships when previous abuse or exploitation has made you suspicious and distrustful of everybody.

4. What prudent and fair measures to take to protect yourself from entering new exploitive/abusive relationships in the future. (Very important, as I've heard that abuse/exploitation victims often have a tendency to fall right back into an abusive relationship, after escaping a previous one).

The major hurdle I can see for this topic is that it will probably be triggering for a lot of members Smiley Sad, so it mightn't be workable.

* Non-Therapy Facilities For Suffering People

Therapy has long been pushed as the main remedy for people suffering problems. But for many of us, it's a dead-end. I think people might be interested in getting some insight into what other forms of "help" are out there for them.

But I don't know, this may be too broad a topic to condense into a stable discussion.

* Veterans

Seems pretty timely with the Royal Inquiry into Veteran Suicides going on right now. I'm not a vet myself, and I don't know how many vets we have on here, but I'm betting that there's enough material in that subject to fill out a full tuesday conversation.

Maybe we could open it up to civilian jobs like cops, paramedics, and firemen/women, too? I know that, much like the military, many people in those professions struggle a lot with the things they've endured on the job. Or maybe that would belittle the vets' experiance and the civilian responders should have a day of their own? I really don't know - I'm talking well outside my own realm of experiance here. I'm just putting out ideas.

Maybe it would be a good discussion for the tuesday closest to Anzac Day?

I think BPD would be a  good one, just as there are  a lot of members who suffer from it...

Everyone's ideas sound really good!

For me, it'd be:

How to navigate health systems and self-advocacy - also how to walk that tightrope between wanting to be seen as a competent person but also be open about what you need. (if you know what I mean?)

How to get into peer support work.

What can we do to support our mental health?

Where to go for solid information about [insert mental health diagnosis here].
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance