Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Maggie7
Casual Contributor

What to say to my daughter after suicide attempt

Hi, my 19year old daughter attempted suicide over a week ago she is currently undergoing treatment in hospital 

I just want to hold her tell her I love her but it does not seem enough I don’t know what I can say to her I am so careful with any words that come out in case I say the wrong thing 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: What to say to my daughter after suicide attempt

Welcome to the forums.

I'm so sorry to hear what your family is going through right now. I'm glad you have reached out here tonight.

It's so hard to feel like you want to say more but are afraid of saying the wrong thing. It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job of letting her know she is loved, which is so important. Providing a safe, loving, non-judgmental space for her to talk can sometimes be more important than having the exact right words to say. I think it's important that she feels safe to share and knows that you are interested to know what's going on for her and won't judge her, whatever that might be.

The Suicide Call Back Service have put together some information that you might find helpful:

Supporting someone after a suicide attempt

I'm sure others on the forums will have thoughts and suggestions too.

Welcome once again. I hope you find the forums a helpful space to share and connect.

Hi @Maggie7 

welcome 

I’ve been in your daughters place and all I wanted at the time was for my mum to hold me. To be held. Do you normally have a good, open relationship with your daughter? Is this something that she would normally talk to you about? Your daughter is probably feeling a whole mix of things…. Scared. Confused. Ashamed. Just make sure that she knows that you are there for her and let her guide you. 

Thank you for responding , that’s all my daughter wants from me is for me to hold her we are very close 

i am just lost for words to say to her without triggering her 

Hi @Maggie7 

As a mum of four adult children I have to imagine this is just so devastating for you. I have no answers but hope the information provided by the Suicide Callback might be helpful. I just want to say I'm so sorry for what's happened and hope with all my heart things start to improve for your daughter x

Thank you for your kind words 

i have just come back from lunch with her she laid her head in my lap while I stroked her back

I hope it gave her as much comfort as it gave me 

I have read many topics on what to say and what not to say but as a parent you just want to get it right and your always left unsure if you have triggered her in the wrong way 

You sound like such a beautiful, caring mum @Maggie7 

❤️❤️❤️

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance