Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: What to do?

Hi @Historylover 

It's good to see you again - not good that you are having such a struggle finding someone who can be a helpful therapist for you. Actually - I think it's wonderful that you know what you want from someone - face-to-face - empathy - able to give actual help - surely there is someone but indeed - how do you find that person?

And it is expensive. Why spend a lot of money you don't really have to talk about the painful issues in your life to someone who is not really listening? There are good people out there but again - how do you find them

And the cost is prohibitive. If someone is on a low income or a pensioner then the amount charged for 10 visits a year rebated on Medicare is still not enough. And is it enough to have 10 visits? I don't think so and what would someone do if they needed more than 10 with the costs so high?

I saw someone really great late 2019 and early 2020 - for help with pain management. She was very understanding and empathetic. She became ill at the beginning of the pandemic and stopped working - what a pity - I do understand this happens. I saw someone else once - not a good fit - I have given it away now and I can certainly understand when it all gets too much. And just looking for someone is too much at times.

I wish you the best though - and it really is good to see you back here

Dec

KAn1
Casual Contributor

Hi there,

In my non-professional experience, you can do this.

Log on to the AirTasker app on your phone.

Set-up a task entitled "Psychological Services" or "Counseling Services" or something similar.

Set the price as the maximum price that you are willing to pay.

Bids should begin immediately.

Accept the bid from the professional that is most suited to you.

🙂

Hope it works out for you.

Hello @Owlunar  I haven't seen you about for a while either - although I have been keeping a low profile.  I am trying to stand on my own feet as much as possible - trying to find out what works.  For me - it seems that nothing does.

I have spent another day trying to find a useful resource.  It is amazing that people care so little about others yet would expect a different response if it was for themselves.  If only they knew the feel-good factor in helping others.  It seems that anything I find is no longer current or is waiting for funding.  So few organizations - groups etc. fill our needs and when they do - they are not current or there is some other impediment.

It amazes me that I have spoken with so many people and they are all getting paid - yet they have not helped me - and there is no follow up.  Was I able to help that person, why not, how can I attend to the matter now, resolve their crisis.  When I think of all the people who need help and so few are involved with these groups etc., so that must mean that those, like me, getting nowhere must be countless.

The trouble with the internet is everyone has a site - not current and not necessarily helpful, and they just keep adding more - and while they keep some people in jobs, those who need their help are simply falling through the cracks.

Decades ago I was able to just go along to a Community Health Centre - and I was actually helped.  Each suburb had one - and there was no wait.  Just shows how things have deteriorated.

Yes the cost IS prohibitive.  One forumite mentioned that we save for a rainy day and everyone just wants access to it.  My sentiments exactly.  I'm not a miser but I want value for money - results.  None are forthcoming.  It seems most are just on their own ego trip. 

I want to find a discussion and support group like this forum but face-to-face.  It should be easy to find in my local area.  In everyone's local area!

Hope this finds you well Dec.  

Best wishes,

History Lover

Yes @Wanderer - they tick the boxes and they get paid but we are left floundering.  It defies belief.

Sorry to hear of your woes too.  I could say these things are sent to try us but that would be too flippant.

$500 an hour!  How does the Health budget allow no results for this outlay - and no results means a worsening, accumulating situation.  

It makes me sick.

Xxx

Sorry for your woes @Wanderer.  It's all a game of power and control in our society - at all levels, but especially in government departments.

"Slow and Unhelpful" should be their motto.  And their unhelpful responses are because they are all playing the same game.  It happens everywhere, to all decent people.  Peer group pressure means they are all toeing the same party line - looking after themselves.  Decent people who would do otherwise wouldn't last in a position there. 

They are toying with us.  It's hard to believe that they are there to serve us.  All it takes is for some to break away from this ingrained need to fit in with their fellow workers and do the right thing - but it would take very courageous people.  Can self-serving people change?  Would they dare to?

Take care.

X

X

Historylover
Senior Contributor

@Wanderer   So sorry for all of our respective woes.  What a mess.  I've just had a look at the list of calls I have made in the last several days trying to find someone who can help me.  Nothing.  I, too, am thoroughly jaded. Stay well.

Xxx

@Wanderer   Words fail.  Who do they think they are?  I can  see there are difficulties working with people whose lives are in crisis - but if they can't handle the situation they should find another job.  Not too many jobs in the private sector where such a lack of productivity or respect for others is permitted.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance