Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Welcome to the Friends, Family and Carers Forum! Introduce yourself here 🙂

@Charlii  You're welcome! Any questions, ask away! 

❤️

Hi everyone , 

I’m looking for some support / advice for my daughter in law to be who has been in treatment for a few months and will be returning home to live with us . She is diagnosed with schizophrenia and I would like to know the best way I can help 

thanks 

Mrs Mac 

Hey @MrsMac ,

Good on you for reaching out. I read that you are wanting to know how to best support your daughter in law for when she returns.

It sounds like it is a bit of a trying time right now. Have you had a chance to speak to her treating team about how to best support her?

It sounds like she will be under the care of a treating team for her medication etc? 

It is important to watch out for and know the early warning signs of an episode. e.g. she may say that people are following her etc. It may come to a point where she refuses medical support and this is quite common. 

These are all things to consider as part of a safety plan. On discharge, you should also have access to a triage number who you can call if you are uncertain about something.

How does this sound so far? I know it's a lot to take in.

Hello, I'm the partner of someone with schizophrenia and undiagnosed PTSD and trauma. We have two kids, 5 & 3, and I guess I'm hoping to connect with people who have an experience similar to mine and both gain and provide support. 

Hi, new here, hitting reply.

Sole carer for a 20 year old daughter with BPD, depression and everything else that goes with it. Hospital stays about 50% (in HDU or with special) of last 4 years.  Living in rural location.  Rural blessing for the isolation that prevents further suicidal escalations but curse for lack of support. 

Don't know what to expect here. 

Navigating something never expected when becoming a parent.  Dealing with an overloaded mental health system.   BPD patients are paradoxical and so hard to treat by a large system. Rural areas so hard to keep and retain staff.   

Here we go!

Hey there @RobOz ,

I thought you were talking about me in your post! Yes, that's me (was me)... HDU or with a special. I spent years in and out of hospital. 

I hear how hard it is for a carer/parent. I did not begin to improve until my early 30s. By that time, I felt like I'd left a trail of destruction behind me. I cut myself off my family, friends (if i had any remaining), and left the state to start elsewhere.

It was then that I realised the issue was ME. No matter where I went, I couldn't get away from myself. Only then did I begin to heal. It needed to come from me, because BPD recovery is hard hard work. It is going against anything one had ever imagined. It's about retraining the brain to think in more helpful ways.

I've had my fair share of BPD, life and errors. Yet now, I can only say I can't be better. 

Feel free to join our BPD-ers and carers at Raising Awareness of BPD - Flipping the Script 

You may also want to read Topic Tuesday // Supporting loved ones living with BPD // Tuesday 25th January, 7pm-8:30pm AEDT 

BPD is painful, but it can also be magical. If one is able to navigate the storms, they will come out with rich experiences.

One thing I strongly recommend to BPD carers is to set your boundaries from the beginning. Be strong with those boundaries to protect yourself. At the same time, empower your daughter. Give her choices. 

I hope you find connecting on the forums helpful. There is so little info out there for BPD carers....

Hey @CalmOne , Welcome to the forums!

I'll tag a few people who may pass by to say hi. @RiverSeal @Judi9877 @Shaz51 @outlander 

Hello and welcome to the forum @RobOz , will tag @Determined for you as his wife has BPD 

Letting you know that you are not alone my friends 

@CalmOne , @MrsMac 

@tyme 🙂

hi @CalmOne and welcome!

Hi everyone -
I’m Libby abd needing help! My 24yo son wants to explore a fully natural approach to managing his psychosis. Any thoughts
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance