Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Mizz03
New Contributor

Self harm and alcohol

Hi, I'm new to this forum. My daughter is 22, and has a history of anxiety, depression, self harm, alcohol abuse and thc smoking. When the anxiety and depression started, in her teens, we went through all the usual counselling, doctors visits, trying medication after medication, with some improvement, but now I can't get her to go to counselling, she refuses. She says she wants to do the counselling online, and I've tried to get her to sign up through Mindspot, as yet she hasn't. 

She's taking her medication, which seems to help a bit, and she's only had one incident of self harm in the last year or so, but it's always a case of waiting for the other shoe to drop. 

If anyone has a similar experience, tips to share etc, I'd love to hear about what has or hasn't worked for you. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and all the best with your journey.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Self harm and alcohol

Hey @Mizz03 

Welcome to the Forums! We are so glad to have you here!

It sounds like you have truly gone above-and-beyond to give your daughter the best support possible. Just in case no one else has told you lately - you are doing an amazing job.

It can be so hard to manage that feeling of 'waiting for the other shoe to drop'. Especially when they are adults now and have more freedom than before. 

I hope that others here who have more lived experience in the area than myself can jump in and provide their own wisdom. In the meantime, Carer Gateway can be a fantastic source of support too. Feel free to also introduce yourself on our 'Introduce Yourself' thread if you have not already done so.

Once again, so happy that you have found us here. I hope it can be an insightful and supportive space 💛

As someone who deals with others and my own mood disorders. The big thing is systems with in-built early intervention. Pre-emptivity and pro-activity.

Playing with your analogy, if the first shoe is put back on before the other shoe drops, there is no other shoe. AND there's actual periods of having both shoes on from time to time.

Thank you for your support, it's much appreciated 👍😃

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance