Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

StarStar
New Contributor

Newbie :)

Hi everyone, wondering if there is anyone out there that has undiagnosed Autism and/or ADHD. I started looking into it after suspecting my daughter may be on the spectrum and realised that I think I am. I started listening to podcast and researching about Autism and ADHD in females and was blown away. I have suffered from anxiety and depression for years and years but have always felt like there is more to it. I don’t know if I will ever be able to afford to go and get diagnosed but I believe with my whole being that I have one or both of above mentioned. I would love to hear from anyone who may be in a similar position. I am 34 years old and am a bit gutted it has taken me this long to figure out why I have always felt different, weird, uncomfortable, exhausted. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Newbie :)

Welcome, Star Star. RICH1

Re: Newbie :)

Hi @StarStar 

I just wanted to reach out and welcome you to the forums - it’s great to have you here 💜

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve been struggling with anxiety and depression and in my experience, living with these mental health conditions can be incredibly overwhelming, distressing and debilitating 💜

Wow! As I listened to this part of your story, it sounds as though you’ve been on quite a journey and that as a result of this process, you’ve been able to make sense of the parts of yourself that you’ve been struggling to understand.

In my experience, reaching a place in our lives where we’re finally able to make sense of some of the things that have been happening to us can evoke so many powerful emotions and as such, I can really appreciate how you’re currently feeling a 'bit gutted.’

Although I don’t live with Autism or ADHD, I can really appreciate how valuable it can be to connect with people who share similar experiences to our own 😊

With this in mind, one of our wonderful Moderators Jynx, created an amazing thread especially for members of our community who are living with ADHD 😊

As such, I’ve just shared the link to this particular thread below, just in case you would like to read other people’s stories and join in some of the conversations 💜

https://saneforums.org/t5/Our-stories/Wait-what-did-I-come-into-this-thread-for-again-Oh-yeah-ADHD/m...

From memory, the assessment process to determine if someone is living with ADHD and / or Autism is incredibly expensive which makes it really difficult for people to be able to access the care and support that they desperately need 💜

As such, I just wondered if an organisation called Autism Connect may be able to provide some guidance and / or information in relation to some more affordable assessment pathways 💜

Basically Autism Connect is ‘a free, national autism helpline, providing independent and expert information over phone, email and webchat.’

As such, they support people who are living with autism, their families, carers and the broader community in relation to things like assessment and diagnostic support, referrals to other services and the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

You can contact them on: 1300 308 699 Monday to Friday from 8.00am until 7.00pm. 

You can also receive support via webchat and email if this feels a little bit more comfortable for you 😊

As such, I’ve just shared the link to this particular organisation below, just in case you would like to explore their services further:

https://www.amaze.org.au/autismconnect/

Also, just while I remember, one of the things that really helped me when I was new to the forums and still finding my way around, was that if you would like to chat with another forum member, or reply to one of their posts, place @ in front of their username just like I did at the start of my post to you i.e. @StarStar that way, they will receive a message that you have contacted them 😊

I really hope that this helps you a little bit 😊

Please know that you’re always welcome to reach out here whenever you need to 💜

Take kind and gentle care of yourself,

ShiningStar 💜

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance