Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

M15
Casual Contributor

Newbie with extremely sleepy kiddo

Hi everyone

My teen was recently discharged from hospital and is on meds. Since arriving home, my kiddo has been asleep 80% of the time. Waking for meals and a short walk or meditation and then wanting to sleep again. 

Has this happened for other families supporting youngsters? 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Newbie with extremely sleepy kiddo

Hi @M15 

Welcome to the SANE forums! I'm one of the peer moderators here on the forums. It's great you've reached out for support. I haven't been in your situation but I would imagine very much that it's the medication that is making your child sleepy. They've likely been through a lot recently with a mental health episode so that most likely would have also worn them out. I have to say though, I believe the nurses/doctors should have advised you of this type of thing to look out for on their discharge. It's a lot for a parent to go through and you need to know these things as a carer. I would consider calling the hospital and asking to speak to someone who cared for your child and ask for details of how things may play out in the coming  weeks. Do they have a case manager you can speak to in community mental health? Usually people are followed up after a hospital stay at least once or twice. 

Take care and also look after yourself. 

Hanami

Hi @M15,

I'm sorry to hear what you kiddo is going through, as a parent I know this can't be easy for you either. I have known people (adults) that have started medication for their mental health and become very tired for a couple of weeks until the medication `kicks in'. Having said that I would check with the doctor that has prescribed this medication if this is a potential side effect of taking the medication.

I wish you and your kiddo all the best - hopefully this drowsiness will ease up soon.

FloatingFeather  

Thanks. Fatigue/drowsiness is a side effect but she's so tired, she can't do much at all.  We will see an outpatient service tomorrow.

She was in hospital for almost 6 weeks and made to get up every day and attend activities. I suppose she has a lot of sleep to catch up on?  She's been sleeping a lot for the past 3 and a half days. I didn't realise how tired she would be.  I was visiting her in hospital every day and she was tired every day. Sometimes saying she was so tired she was dizzy. 

I told Dr's that at the time. 

Hopefully she will adjust and/'or get the rest she needs. I was hoping other families might have experienced similar and could share some reassurance 

Yep hopefully some people will reply who've had an experience of this. 

I hope the outpatient appt goes well. 

Warmest wishes

Hanami

Hi @M15  Yes my daughter faced the same problem when starting on meds for mental health issues. When she first came home it was a struggle to get her to shower or do anything but sleep and eat. It’s hard to know what to do as a parent but I simply allowed her to rest for the week but also tried to encourage some activity. This didn’t go down to well. 10 years on and many admissions along the way, she is still on meds but manages a normal sleep routine now. She is still quite lethargic during the day but makes the effort to fight the tiredness. Sadly this is a side effect.  I hope things settle for you both soon. 

Thanks for sharing. It's early days for us. My daughter is a dancer. She'd like to not be so lethargic. She'd like to return to dance.  I really hope she'll be able to. 

I am allowing her to rest at the moment. I think she probably needs it.  I don't know how she was functioning in hospital, they made her get up and go to numerous activities everyday. 

@M15   hi M15 when i first was diagnosed with a mi i slept a whole year away.  it is common whether on meds or not.  everything re mi takes time to heal.

That's helpful to know. Thank you. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance