Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Safari
Casual Contributor

New

Hi All,

I am new to the page and believe I am a victim of emotional abuse. My work colleague, and so called mate, is a master manipulator. He used gaslighting techniques to create an awkward situation between a junior colleague (he was also a mate) and the two of us a year ago after we had drinks in the city one weekend. I was on a more senior level compared to the two of them at work. He then used  psychological/emotional abuse to completely exclude me from the work social group  while still maintaining to be by mate. We started arguing every week and it made me look unstable. He stayed friends with both me and the other guy and told me he will smooth stuff out that way. I was always advised not to go and speak to the junior colleague or HR at work. I still successfully manage to push for a new postion to be created at work for him and end up working on Christmas so that he could get off. Once he had his promotion my mental health went downhill from there. The junior colleague resigned and told the GM he resigned because of me but wont answer any questions if there is an investigation. I kept my sexual orientation a secret at work with a few people (both the junior and the manipulator knew as I told them on previous social outings). The rumour mill went crazy, my secret sexual orientation did not help the cause when that became knowledge? I stayed for another two months and then I resigned. I told my supervisor when I resigned that I did not get a fair investigation. The way he resigned and not wanting to answer any investigation questions meant I did not get a proper investigation or chance to clear my name. The manipulator was coaching me what to say in the investigation and kept on telling me that it was a good outcome even though it probably cost me a promotion. A big smear compain based on a false accusation.

At this stage 8 months have passed since the original gaslighting took place and I was blaming the junior for everything. I took some time off work. I did seek out professional help (pushed by the master manipulator) but after my Dr referral there were a 7 week waiting time.

I started blaming myself and completely broke down. It took me 5 weeks to get my head in the right space again before I started another job and telling my friends what happened.

Even though we did not work together anymore he still tried to keep me in a dispear/sad/mad state. We remained friends up until last week when I finally saw his manipulative ways and google manipulators.

I was amazed that he is an exact match with the online profiles for master manipulators. This past week I was really mad and just wanted to create a way to expose him in front of people.

I have since then calmed down and did more research and sadly noticed that I am, and have been for a while, showing all the symptoms for Complex PTSD. 

Can anyone here recommend a good trauma psychologist based in Perth please? I can finally seek out the help I need and not for made up issues that I was told I had.

Thanks for reading my experience, I know it helped me by reading similiar experiences yesterday.

6 REPLIES 6
TideisTurning
Peer Support Worker

Re: New

Hi @Safari & welcome to the Forums! I'm really sorry to hear of the tough situation you've experienced at work. I really appreciate the courage you've shown in sharing that with all of us here as it sounds quite recent, and I don't imagine it would have been easy. 

I just wanted to let you know as well that unfortunately, members are unable to make specific recommendations in line with our Community Guidelines around Anonymity, though you may like to check out the Blue Knot Foundation for more on trauma services. They also have a helpline you can contact if you'd like to speak to someone 1:1. 

There are many here however who can offer peer support and sit with you (virtually) through this.

Wishing you whatever strength you might need to get through this. 

TideisTurning  🌺

Safari
Casual Contributor

Thanks @TideisTurning

Zoe7
Community Guide

Hi @Safari 👋 What a horrible and difficult time you have had but what strength to get through and also to talk about it here. As @TideisTurning has said, we cannot recommend specific services in specific areas for anonymity reasons but I would highly recommend using the SANE Support Services - it is not just a great counselling service but can also recommend services in your area. Your GP is another valuable resource - both for helping with your mental health and referral. You can ask for  Mental Health Care Plan to be done and subsequent referral to a psych. Good luck with finding what you are after and working through the trauma you have suffered.

Safari
Casual Contributor

Thanks @Zoe7  and @TideisTurning again. I will get in touch with those services.

I think the real test on my strength would be to work through the social and private abuse that only occurred when he was around me and how he managed to break me down to a fraction of my former self. At the time I did not see how he was actually controlling every aspect of my life from work interactions, love relationships, bad life choice and above all how he was in charge of my emotions 😞

But the more honest and open I am the less chances there are to get hooked by him again.

Zoe7
Community Guide

I know it is a cliche @Safari but 'knowledge is power' and that applies to ourselves just as much as it does to any situation. You have taken the first step in deciding to seek the help you need and that really does show you have insight into what is going on for you as well as the strength to know you need help. Keep posting here too if that helps - sometimes sharing what is happening can help us feel a little less alone and empowered in itself. You will have support here amongst this wonderful community and it is really nice you have found us and can join in on that community too ...so a belated welcome along with the previous good luck Smiley Very Happy

You are very welcome to tag me anytime and I will check in on you later to see how you are going Heart

Zoe7
Community Guide

Hi @Safari Checking in to see how you are travelling this evening Smiley Very Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance