Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Fidgets
New Contributor

New

Hi

Not sure how I found my way to this site. Difficult for me to share.  They tell me I have ptsd. Why did I get upset when I read the section about the world being better with me in it.  Anyway... sure I'll just loiter. 

7 REPLIES 7
Jupiter
Community Manager

Re: New

Hey there @Fidgets.

Welcome to the forums, great to have you here Smiley Happy

It sounds like things have been pretty tough for you recently, so I'm glad you have found this community. I hope you find it a supportive place to be. You can share as much or as little as you feel comfortable, we are here to listen and provide support.

Jupiter

RedHorse
Senior Contributor

IKR? New member here with a similar reaction...

Hi @RedHorse,

Welcome to the SANE forums to you as well. I hope you find this to be a helpful and supportive place for you.

- Forest Fairy

Rosie93
Senior Contributor

Hi @Fidgets  and @RedHorse  Smiley Happy

Welcome to the forums. I hope you find it to be a helpful tool and a safe place.

Sending strength your way,

Rosie93

Croix
Casual Contributor

Dear Fidgets

I'd like to join the others  in welcoming you here, it's a good move, and a brave one too. Setting out part of yourself before strangers, however it is a safe place where others have often felt the same.

You mentioned feeling anger reading about "the world being a better place with you in it".

I guess in some ways that's similar to how I felt when PTSD was really bad.

The words can be true, the world might indeed be a better place with you in it, but to say that probably makes you feel more isolated and misunderstood -it did me.

People would give me all sorts of catch phrases and common solutions. You've got a lovely house and family, you need to move on, and all the rest

What it did was show me the gulf between their experience and understanding of the facts, and what was going on inside me.

It got so bad that even  being asked by my partner "Are you OK?" filled me with anger and resentment.

I guess my brain was so full of my depressive and PTSD thoughts there was no room to deal with anything else.

I did improve, and now although still under mild treatment live an excellent life. The anger has gone, I've tolerance, love for my partner returned and I  am happy. Took time but there is hope. If I, who was a real mess can get to where I am now, I'm sure others, yourself included, can too

Voyageur

Hey @Fidgets , if you are still loitering I have PTSD too.

I have one of those psychologists who tries not to label every mental illness as hearing too many can be overwhelming. I just asked her the other day if she thought I had enough 'shite' to be labelled with PTSD and she made a funny noise and said 'god yeah'. Funnily enough, that made me feel better. I have a really good psych with a wicked sense of humour and it's that sense of humour that is so important when things get really tough. When you think there's nothing funny anymore and someone can crack you up its gold. 

I found out recently that I have yet another autoimmune disease and I will need to have my first ever surgery so I am not laughing at much today...

Croix
Casual Contributor

Dear am-i-a-phibian

Welcome. It's funny you should say that about having your PTSD confirmed. For some people I guess having no label is a comfort, they may feel they are not being 'lumped in' with others. For me however it was a very positive thing to find -eventually - that all my symptoms, from unreasoning anger though reliving the past and all the rest were not just me but symptoms of PTSD, a well known condition. In a way it made me feel better about myself.

I'm wondering if this is how you feel? Having a psych who does not give out labels may simply hold a belief that all clients are of the former sort, and simply does not say technically what is wrong but simply tries to treat the symptoms.

It's all very well, but does tend to isolate some, an even prohibit the possibility of getting together with others in support groups all of whom have related experiences -a reason to come here to SANE I suppose.

I heartliy agree with you abut humor. You ring any help line or talk to even understanding family members or friends and most feel they have to trip-toe around the subject, acknowledging what you are going though but keeping serious. I suppose they feel it might be disrespectful or something to branch out.

Personally I find these sort of talks a bit repetitive and overly serious, if in need having someone, at the right time, tell a joke and even encourage me to tell one lightens the whole tone, gives a different view of the world in some ways - not all gloom.

Having said that to be serious for a second I'm sorry to hear of your news and wish you the very best outcomes for your operation

Voyageur

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance