Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Beads
Contributor

New user

I have been here before but it's been a long time so thought I should do this bit again. I'm in my mid 60's, have had major depression and dysthymia for decades, treated with Effexor. Have been pretty good until lately. because of family issues. I've retired and I thought my time was going to be relaxing and do what I want to do. How far from the truth is that. Tonight something really got up my nose and I am so churned up but it's not the first time.  My home situation is making me get more depressed again, I know how it feels when it is. I'm thinking I don't care anymore and is this all there is? Is this how it's going to be forever. How stupid was I to make the choices I did? My life is being turned upside down by a family member (whom I believe needs psychiatric treatment ) and I don t know how to make it stop. My home, my haven has turned into a pile of faeces. I don t know what to do. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: New user

Hi @Beads ,

@Beads wrote:

My home, my haven has turned into a pile of faeces. I don t know what to do. 

I'm so very sorry to hear this 😞 It sounds devastating. 

I'm wondering if you have a counsellor, trusted GP, psychologist or psychiatrist who you could talk to for some professional support? 

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and then click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply. 

Sorry to hear that things aren't going well for you at the moment, @Beads. I don't have any advice but just wanted to send my support and best wishes. Take care.

P. S. We're walking similar paths.

@Beads 

Hello and welcome to the forum.

The first thing that occurs to me when reading your post, is that if the disruption is extreme enough to destroy your sense of retirement, perhaps, if putting down boundaries does not work and that person does not seek help for themself it could be worth calling in the CATT team.  I am tentative in that suggestion as I do not know the full story.  Have you thought of it?

What I'd like is to find someone to help me to try to get the person to seek help.

.@HisoryLover thankyou.

@Appleblossom it hasn't reached that stage. I don't know the problem but I have my theories, having worked in health.

@Beads Well that's something.

Tbh I have had very little luck in trying to get care for others.  I have tried for my brother and sister and my son.  We had a lot of trauma and it kept paying forward.  So that is how it is for us.

In the end I had to seek more help from the services for myself, that has been a varied journey, with some good and some bad.  There are some gems out there.  Best advice is be patient and persistent and do self care.  We should not have to do it on our own.  Takes a village to raise a child and takes a village to be a community for grown ups.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance