Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

John_PPP
New Contributor

My Life With Anxiety

I felt I needed to write down my experience with anxiety, as for the past 12 years I haven’t really been open about it, only really to my partner of 16 years. Im 36 yo male. It might help minimise my emotions right now.

Around 12 years ago, I started to get major anxiety about flying. Im not really sure how this occurred, as before that I flew many times for many years with no issues. Then all of a sudden, my body would freeze up on the morning of going on a planned flight. And I would need to cancel. It got really bad for around 3 months and multiple on the day flight cancellations, that I sought help from a doctor. I was put on an anti-anxiety medication during the day and at night, and it helped. The problem is, I am very good with flying on the day, a little anxious, but on the day I am fine. Leading up to the day I am a mess. My body freezes, I get a tingling feeling in my body, and I go into a shell.

I have seen a psychologist which showed me techniques for relaxing, but im not very good at relaxing. I switched anti-anxiety medications as my doctors request three years ago, and now take something else in the morning, and nothing at night, as it was making me sleepy and took a while to wake up in the morning.

I work in an office, and my day to day normal interaction is very good, I never have anxiety at work or with family. It always seems to come before I am due for a flight. This is why I am writing today as im due for a flight in around a week, and all my anxious feelings are hitting hard right now, maybe its just the process I go through before the actual day.

1 REPLY 1

Re: My Life With Anxiety

hi @John_PPP and welcome
well done for reaching out and sharing your story.
please feel free to have a look around and join in wherever you like.

how are you going after your flights?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance