Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Shazza1
New Contributor

Mental health - where do I start?

Hi all. My brother has major mental health issues and is unable to work. He tries to find work ( cheffing)  but then it becomes too stressful and has a break down. He’s 60 and his house is a mess. He’s not caring for himself. Is there a way he can access a pension for thus? Financially he’s in trouble as a result of not working . We have a doctors appointment this Thursday. I’m heading off to centre link tomorrow morning. Is there an agency that can sit with you and discuss your options ? I’m at a loss as to what i can do. Can someone help me ? 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Mental health - where do I start?

In the old days they had Sickness Benefit, but now I think they need to claim Job Seeker payment and put in medical certificate to offset mutual obligations.  Eventually he may be eligible for Disabilty before Aged pension, but a lot of it is going through the processes and talkk to the doctor as well Centrelink. Good Luck @Shazza1 

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/sickness-allowance 

Re: Mental health - where do I start?

Hi @Shazza1 

Welcome to the forum. Your brother is young enough to get NDIS. It will take a bit of work but if he can get it before he turns 65 he will have that support for the rest of his life. 

Take care

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance