Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Talita
Contributor

Living with a mentally ill boyfriend who denies it

Good Morning,  I'm new to this forum as well as the world of mental illness..i have een livi g with my boyfriend for 2years and he was recently admitted into a psychiatric hospital for evaluation by his family with out his consent. It's been hard and completely lost as he doesn't believe there's anything wrong with him and blames us for locking him up..Doctors not sure how long they will keep him for diagnoses..His been there 2 weeks..

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Living with a mentally ill boyfriend who denies it

I tend to empathise with people in these situations.

First of all, you don't know what he's thinking. He might believe it himself, but for some reason, he doesn't want to admit it, maybe because he's embarrassed.

Secondly, you don't know just how long he's been living with these symptoms without treating them, so it could be "normal" to him, just because that's the life he's been used to for so long.

Finally, he could just be frustrated that he was admitted without his consent, so he feels like the situation is kind of out of his control.

Someone I know attempted suicide years ago. During the attempt, she messaged someone on this forum we were all a part of. The person forwarded those messages to me without her consent, because she was in New York, so she couldn't call 000.

Sure enough, it was the real deal.

A few days later, I e-mailed her to check in on her. She said that for the first couple of days, she was very angry at me. Her mother was at home, and had no idea what was happening, until the paramedics arrived. That must have been difficult for her, to have her mother there.

She realised, though, that it was the best thing for her.

Maybe he will too. 

Whether or not he acknowledges it, the fact remains.. you did really well, Talita. All the best x.

Ask about the average time that people spend in the psychiatric hospital next time you can - for my hospital the average time people spend there is 1 month. You could talk to him about what you're going to do together once he gets out of there, maybe?

Thank you for replying, as a partner I'm completely heart broken..he has delusions which he believes himself and has been this way for 6years..It is his reality and now he thinks the hospital patients and staff are all actors and it's a show for him and his trying to find out why. The doctors stillhasnt diagnosed him after 2weeks and are trying to keep him longer .. his on antipsychotic tablets which has calmed him , but delusions hasn't gone.. It seems his family are trigers to his state of mind and he can't continue to live in the sane house ..im trying to find out what help he can get to live on his own and recover .in a more stress free environment.. I call the doctors but they don't callback..We are both trying to get  weekend pass for Valentine's , just to come out then go back in..but will see..ha e a lovely day..thsnk you

Morning 

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I definitely want to discuss these options as his family causes his distress and his episodes take longer..his having his tribunal this week to keep him longer but still no diagnoses as yet. After 2weekd..can you believe it..what are they doing? They gave him antipsychotic tablets and that's it.  I want to know if there's support to live on his own.. will see.. thsnk you and have an awesome day today.. 

Hi @Talita - you might want to check out the youtube channel "Living well with schizophrenia". Ask for a family worker or a social worker to help you out - whoever is his next of kin might be able to get that ball rolling for you.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance