Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

GillyMummaBear
Casual Contributor

Hi I'm New

My daughter (23) has been diagnosed with Depression, Suicidal Ideation & PTSD. For the past 4 years there have been so many ups and downs.  She has a good psychologist and is on medication but she has copped a few things recently which have sent her into a tail spin. Her boyfriend is a great support but as her Mumma she comes to me as her major support. They live with us. I know that this is a good thing that she can come to me and I'm so thankful for that. I just feel scared alot of the time as I feel her pain and I just don't know what will happen next. I'm sure there are other parents of kids (big or small) with mental illness that feel me.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Hi I'm New

My daughter was diagnosed with the same conditions several years ago. And in fact attempted suicide. She went through years of therapy, and is still going to therapy regularly. We realise that maintaining mental health is as crucial as physical health. We found that there is light at the end of the tunnel, she emerged on the other end, and is now thriving in her career, relationships, and even travels on her own. There is always hope. But you have to take care of yourself as well. The anxiety, fear and despondency also left me with a heavy weight on my shoulders. It took me a while to understand that to help my daughter, I must practise self-care too.
hanami
Senior Contributor

Hi there @GillyMummaBear 

Welcome to the forums! I'm one of the peer workers here at Sane. I'm glad you found us and hope the forums offer you support and connection. 

As a mum of four myself (2 that are around the same age as your daughter), I'm really feeling your pain. A couple of my children have quite bad anxiety and it's always worrying. I can only imagine what it's like for one of your children to have suicidal ideation. You sound like such a caring and amazing mum.

I'm hoping you get some responses here that may be able to help your situation. I'll also provide a couple of links to carer's websites that may be of some help for you. 

https://www.carergateway.gov.au/  https://www.carersnsw.org.au/services-and-support 

sending hugs

Hanami

Hey @Urdujap

The struggles between caring as parents and self-care are so hard. You want to give but very rarely accept self love and care. It IS important but can be caught up in parental responsibility, love and care. 

How are you doing tonight? Xx

Thank you so much. Bre and I are close but I certainly feel a lot helpless. She's got some stuff that's triggering her at present is her pet bird is at the vet and isn't expected to make it and her company she works for is downsizing and she's not sure about her job. So a lot of added anxiety at present. Which just leaves me even more worried about her.

Thank you for reaching out. I have to be honest I'm a bit exhausted tonight. There are good and bad days and today wasn't a good one.

Thank you. 100% agree with you. I have a good support network but I'm not really sure if anybody truly understands when it's your child. Her father and I are divorced and they don't speak so it's me, my new husband and her boyfriend that deal with her on the daily. I am a cancer survivor and I dealt with that and i have to say I'd rather it was me going through this stuff. I'm trying to take care of myself so I am strong enough.

Thank you. 100% agree with you. I have a good support network but I'm not really sure if anybody truly understands when it's your child. Her father and I are divorced and they don't speak so it's me, my new husband and her boyfriend that deal with her on the daily. I am a cancer survivor and I dealt with that and i have to say I'd rather it was me going through this stuff. I'm trying to take care of myself so I am strong enough.@Urdujap

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance