Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

TB83
New Contributor

Help with anxiety

Hi, 

For the past few months, I have been suffering from shocking anxiety. I do take medication, I am seeing a psychologist, I am meditation , exercising and everything that I'm supposed to do and don't get me wrong that has all helped. I was feeling like I was getting on top of things. However, the silly thoughts are starting to creep back into my head. To anyone that suffers with anxiety, can you please tell me that it does get better? Like the little glimmers of light I see at the end of the tunnel, will they become brighter? Will I learn over time to get better at dealing with anxiety attacks and rather than them lasting weeks/months, they'll become perhaps hours/days or less? Sometimes it seems easier to not be here anymore n deal with it all the time or that my family would be better off not having to deal with my anxiety. I do have a good life, I just don't want the same thought taking over my mind, n subsequently my life as a result.

I appreciate any advice or hints/tips, I really just want my life back 🙏🏻

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Help with anxiety

Welcome @TB83 and thanks for telling us about yourself and what brought you here. I'm one of the moderators. It sounds like you're working hard to manage your anxiety, and it's pretty disheartening when it can still be so intense.

I hope you find a lot of support and connection here, it's a great community. Check out our Community Guidelines to get an idea of how it all works, and don't hesitate to ask questions while you're getting used to things.

You mentioned that sometimes it seems easier to not be here anymore. I can only imagine how distressing things get for you to feel that way. Please remember there are crisis supports to help if you want to talk about those thoughts: 

Lifeline: 13 11 14 or Crisis Chat

Suicide call back service: 1300 659 467 or online counselling

Look forward to seeing you around 🌻

Hi TB83

Your story has resonated very strongly with me as I have a very real struggle with anxiety also.  To start with, have you had your thyroid checked and a standard blood panel done (including iron, b12, magnesium level, hormone levels)..it's good to rule any physical cause to start with

The issue with anxiety is that we can feel like prisoners of our own mind, locked into ruminating thoughts and excessive worries, to the exclusion of everything else.  It can be all consuming and mentally exhausting.  Congratulations on doing all the right things, particularly exercise...whilst it may not seem like it, it is so important to stay active.  

Please believe me, it can get better for you, and yes there is light at the end of that very bleak tunnel..... those little glimmers will get stronger.  I'm curious to know if you've tried cognitive behavioral therapy? It allows us to recognise our negative thoughts when they occur and challenge the validity of our thoughts and worries from a different perspective and by challenging these thoughts we can change both our emotions and our behaviours.

I too have a good life and have been very blessed and I'm sure it is difficult on our families, however remember they are a large part of your life and I can assure you they need and want you around.  The thing is with anxiety it can feel like quicksand..as though you're stuck... and it is a very isolating problem..we can feel very alone.   Anxiety however is increasingly common, so please know you are not alone.  We're all in this together.  

Hey @Tessa2, welcome to the forums too 🌻 Thanks for jumping in with your experience and beautiful message of support. I look forward to seeing you more. Getting started, try putting an @ in front of a member's username if you want them to get notified of your post, like this - @TB83 

Oops, sorry about that...I should have read things more carefully 🙂 

Should I copy and re-post my earlier response?

Many thanks 

Hi @Tessa2 ,

You can repost or you can also just tag people in your response and refer them to your message above.

Great to have you onboard.

Thanks, Radius

@Tessa2  thank you so very much for responding, you have no idea how much that has helped! I've read and re-read your words, thank you for being so open and honest. I think for me, hearing other people's experiences, and knowing that they've gotten through it, held me realise that all isn't lost and that this is just a bit of darkness and with hard work and determination, I will see light again. It's silly, but knowing others feel or have felt the same way is somewhat comforting, I'm not alone in this (I mean I don't like that others feel that way, but there's also a sense of relief, if that makes any sense at all). In response to your questions, yes I have had all my bloods checked and all returned normal, which is great. I've struggled with anxiety since I was a child, but I think this year has brought a lot of fears to the surface, hence why I've felt so terrible mentally. But, I know others have it much worse off than me, and im grateful to be healthy and safe. I would just like to get to a place where I'm happy and content and then have the ability to help others and to show them they're not alone. 
But @Tessa2 i truly thank you for your response, at a time when I needed a bit of reassurance, you were there and you helped 😊 I hope you're ok and as you said we're all in this together ☺️

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @TB83, thank you for reaching out here, and welcome to the forums! 😊

I relate to what you and @Tessa2 have described. I want to provide even more hope/encouragement that things can and do get better with appropriate support, by sharing a bit about my story and recovery.

I developed a debilitating anxiety from when I was a teenager which was bad enough that it interfered with so many important things I cared about- friendships, relationships, education, employment... basically everything! I had a go at Cognitive Behavioural Therapy with a GP at my local Headspace, which I don't think worked out because I didn't go frequently enough to really engage with it and get the benefits.

I then relocated to another city and (regrettably) chose not to re-engage with mental health support because "I already knew the theory/what I needed to do!" I know now that consistency of care is key to recovery, as well as having someone be there to help keep you accountable.

Unfortunately I developed quite a lot of anxiety over the next few years about returning to therapy. I think I became quite embarrassed and ashamed at the degree of unhelpful/irrational thoughts that I was having as part of my anxiety, and I was worried I'd be judged. There was a lot of life and opportunities that I really wanted but missed out on during that time because of my anxiety. It got to the point of missing an opportunity I really really wanted, directly because of my anxiety, and the overwhelming, disempowering feeling of that aftermath, that finally made me say that I can't do this anymore- I didn't want the rest of my life to be like that- so I decided to re-engage with therapy.

I organised with my GP to start on antidepressants (which can be used for social anxiety, which is what I have specifically). I also got a Mental Health Care Plan to see a clinical psychologist, and I engaged with much more regular CBT/therapy compared to when I'd last accessed help. These were both helpful for me, and I remained engaged with these for about a year until I felt I'd recovered quite a lot and could achieve things I couldn't before.

I had a break for a bit after that, and I'm now re-engaged with another mental health professional with regular contact which I'm finding is really good for my mental health and life overall.

Sorry I feel like this is so much writing haha, but I say all this to hopefully inspire hope: I went from being debilitated by my anxiety across many domains of life and missing out on countless opportunities as a result, to being more in control of it than it is of me. I'm now so much more comfortable in relationships, work, etc.- in life generally.

I think it's amazing you said that "I would just like to get to a place where I'm happy and content and then have the ability to help others and to show them they're not alone"  - when this is exactly what I have done- I'm more or less content (obviously covid/2020 has been a trying time), and am now working as a mental health peer supporter doing just that!

Truly, life can get so much better. Invest in the right kind of support for you, find a mental health professional who works well with you, allow yourself time and patience to get better, surround yourself with supportive people as much as you can, and be gentle with yourself Heart

Hi @TB83 

It sounds like you're working really hard to stay on top of the anxiety. You should definitiely give yourself credit, but I understand how disheartening it can be when you're doing your best and things don't seem to be improving... I've been there too.

What I can say is that with a lot of time and work, I have learnt how to manage my anxiety much better than before. I still struggle with it, but it doesn't stop me from living my life as much anymore. It sounds like you're doing everything you can, so I'm sure you will get to a place where you don't feel so affected by it. I'm holding the hope for you. Smiley Happy

Sending strength your way,

Rosie93

Hi @TB83

I feel for you my friend, I to suffered with anxiety for about 20 years and hospitalised several times with panic attacks. I can honestly say that yes can recover from anxiety. You are on the right track with the exercise, meditation and seeing a psychologist, also get foods which are high in tryptophan, it is a amino acid that helps produce serotinin. Some foods are linseeds, soy products, chia seeds and nuts as well, Turkey and eggs are ok as well. Another vitamins is magnesium and this was a big for me, get off coffee and any caffeinated products e.g red bull, V, mothers, Coke or any cola products, this is including tea. It is tough to get off caffeine, you will have headaches and feel lowsey for a fews days up to a week, but be a different person. Give this ago TB83 and if doesn't work, there are depression and anxiety recovery programs that have made a profound difference in me as a person, I feel I have a fantastic day life now, give it go my friend, hope is always out there. 

Haystacks 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance