Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Derivative
New Contributor

Good to meet you here.

Hi everyone.  I've come to this after losing my teaching job, which as a private fee service was a type of customer facing situation.  I was just unable to keep everything cheerful enough and the students didn't like it.  I'd been concerned about it, and despite all my best efforts, it couldn't last. 

I don't have a diagnosis, but after a lifetime of emotional and psychological issues, now believe I have personality disorders in the borderline personality disorder dimensions. 

I'm definitely not going to start talking about any of the many, many problems that come up, but I'm still, as always, working towards solutions. 

Having to 'pick up the pieces' again, I have in mind the possibility of returning to study AGAIN and doing work in this mental health field, to use my experience and strengths to assist others.

Have a safe and happy Christmas everyone!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Good to meet you here.

Hey @Derivative ,

Welcome to the forums.

Happy to tag in a few people who may be able to share their experiences with you, whether it be as a teacher or as someone diagnosed with Borderline Personality disorder.

I hope you find comfort connecting with others.

Please take care, 

tyme

@Zoe7 @Judi9877 @BPDSurvivor 

Hi @Derivative Teaching is a hard enough job without having to deal with mental health issues on top of it. Unfortunately our kids feed off our emotions and if we are not on the ball all the time it can affect our work. I had two years off from teaching with my own MH issues and despite how unwell I was, it was also a good circuit breaker to know I wanted to go back as well as changing how I approached the job. What used to consume all my time no longer does. I have a better work-life balance and do not put as much pressure on myself to get everything perfect.

You said you worked as a private fee service - so I am wondering if you have thought about your own private tutoring where you can choose your own hours and students you take on?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance