Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

jaynelau0
New Contributor

Comorbid conditions - struggling with sisters depression

Hi everyone! This is my first post here; but long story short - I'm really struggling with my sisters depression. She is my younger sister, and we have an immensely close bond. However, I have ADHD and mild OCD (making me very intense, emotional and high energy) and during COVID-19 I have also really struggled with anxiety (particularly to do with me worrying about her). My younger sister has had depression for 4 years now, and whilst she (to many) appears to be doing a lot better, I am anxious every day that she is going to do something to harm herself. I'm unsure if this fear is stemming from my own anxieties and obsessive tendencies (particularly because there's been 'suicide clusters' in the area I'm from and it's all over the media so I can't stop thinking about it); and I'm having a hard time working out the right way to give her care and love, but also not smother her when she's having 'off' days. I am nervous that my constant panic, checking in on her and emotional state will make her feel smotherered and drained... long story short, I'm struggling to trust that when she says she's fine, that she will actually be okay. Does anyone else struggle with this, when living with someone with mental illness?  That constant fear and worry no matter how much reassurance you get from the person. Any advice / personal experiences would be super appreciative. 

Thanks 🙂 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Comorbid conditions - struggling with sisters depression

@jaynelau0  Welcome to the forums.

We have a careers side to the forums. There are many here caring for loved ones, sons, daughters, husbands wives, sisters.

Also there are threads people share OCD experiences Any diagnosed germophobes or hoarders on this forum?  is one of them.

I don’t know what support you and your sister a pre receiving, but presuming you see a counsellor.

I’m not a carer myself, but reading through what others deal with, it’s difficult, to put it mildly. Your sister is very lucky to have your support, but please try to take care of yourself also.

A forum tip. The @bring a dropdown. That is how we tag each other.

You are welcome to join any conversations. A good place to get to know a few others here is Good Morning . I hope to see you around.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance