Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Blackteeth
Casual Contributor

Chronic alcohol withdrawal

hi everyone, I stumbled across this site trying to find information or like minded people who have experienced chronic alcohol withdrawal. I have been drinking around 20 beers a day, everyday for the past 9 years. I recently decided that I’ve had enough and it’s time for the booze to go. It’s been 3 days. Im still having about 3-4 light beers a day with diazepam but it’s not really doing anything ive been somewhat hallucinating, seeing little bugs that aren’t there, permanent pain in my ankles and legs, still sore after 3 days. Hot and cold sweats every minute at least, panic attacks, struggling to sleep longer than about 30 minutes. Has anyone experienced similar and did they suffer any long term side effects? I’m scared I might be a candidate for  sudden death. Cheers guys hope your all doing well! 

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Chronic alcohol withdrawal

Oh gosh, @Blackteeth ! I would be seeing a doctor as soon as possible!

Welcome, by the way...it's good to have you here. 

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply. 

Good luck with the alcohol withdrawal...

Hi @Blackteeth i would strongly suggest talking to a GP as it is dangerous just to stop drinking cold turkey...i know you are saying you are having light beer and diazepam but this may not be enough...There is Nurse on Call in Victoria 1300 60 60 24 or Healthdirect 1800 580 771 ... in other states if you want medical advice, or call 000 if you are needing urgent help. We are not medically trained to give advice. 

kind regards 

Traveller

@Blackteeth  you should be in hospital. So that you can be properly monitored. Take care love greenpea

Hi @Blackteeth 

I stopped drinking a few years ago. My best advice to you is to find an alcohol detox in your area and let them administer the medication, keep you hydrated/fed and they will probably give you a vitamin b injection as well. I, as someone who drank 24/7, wouldn't recommend doing it on your own. It is worth doing under medical direction, as withdrawal from alcohol can be fatal. Not to mention the anxiety and psychosis that can rear its head. My detoxes were mainly all supervised by medical practitioners. Look in your local area and don't feel like you need to do it on your own. 🙂 

Action stage is great. That's where the action's at.

It is unclear from your post whether your formula is prescribed or not. At glance, one site recommends they not be taken together with alcohol. Another, says they can be prescribable for withdrawal symptoms. At another glance, at myself, I'm not a doctor let alone one that specializes in this sort of thing. Either way, consulting (or re-consulting) sounds like something you'd wanna consider. It's good to have all your allies on deck.

I've been on nicotine quitting journeys and have only recently reached out to quit-line and such. They've been pretty good. Still a hard drive but they've helped keep me in the driver seat.

Count every win. You're earning them.

Hey @Blackteeth , welcome to the forums! I'm glad you stumbled upon us 🙂 Just echoing what others have said in that it's important to withdraw from alchohol safely, so it's definitely a good idea to get your GP on board. We have also sent you an email to check in so please check your inbox when you get a chance 🙂 Well done for making the decision to stop drinking and all the best with it!

@Ugly_Trout @Acacia @greenpea @wellwellwellnez @traveller thanks for the support guys it means a lot to me as I don’t have any support. I went to my GP today, he’s put me on a course of diazepam treatment and he seems to think I will be ok at home. I can’t seem to stomach anything though, even if I drink water, I’ll throw it up minutes later! Today is my 4th day and I’m definitely feeling better compared to the first 3 days but the symptoms are still quite nasty.  Much respect to those of you who have beat this disease. I have no idea how alcohol is legal! Thank you again for responding and I hope you are all doing well with life now

@Blackteeth  am here if you need to talk. Alcohol is a dreadful addiction I still have cravings ..... You are strong and brave remember that. Love greenpeaxxx

Hey @Blackteeth . How's the stopping going? I hope your doing as well as you can be at the moment. thumbs up. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance