Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

car321
New Contributor

Can’t look people in the eye lately / anxiety attacks

Hi, I was hoping someone else has experienced this and can provide some advice. Lately at work I have been having anxiety attacks when I'm in a group of people or even just in a one one conversation. I get this weird fight or flight response / head spasm when people look at me, and today I noticed my heart rated was elevated. Previously I have had similar physical responses while public speaking but never just in a normal situation. Can anyone give any advice? I'm not ready to see a professional councillor but am worried if I cant reign this back in I will have no choice.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Can’t look people in the eye lately / anxiety attacks

Hi @car321 welcome here and yes I can definetly say Ive also had long term issues with looking people straight in the eye even with talking to family members face to face in small groups or even one on one with family and it gives an uneasy feeling doing that sometimes not even meaning too its habit and part of my anxiety so your not alone in feeling that way at all,Ive found that sometimes not having to face the person directly while talking in person helps Ive even started to notice certain family have picked up on that with me cause when I look as if Im uneasy they move from sitting directly facing me to more of a side on stance of sitting nearby that is they sit next to me on one side rather than direct face to Face way so that we are literally sitting next to each other at the same time they sit close enough but give me some space from a side angle hope this idea helps as it may stem from feeling judged or intimidated when people look directly at your eyes and especially when your not feeling the best and are too aware of it yourself that makes it hard,so self concious about it which for me makes it then a bigger issue cause from experience I want to feel comftable looking at my love ones directly but sometimes it doesnt help anxiety strangely enough some family members have picked up on this with me another idea that might sound strange but could help lesson feeling anxious I notice when wearing sunglasses it helps me to feel less like people are judging me as there looking directly at me but Im still being heard of course this may seem most appropriate outdoors when talking to someone it could also work indoors dont think that your being rude if you just cant look at people put on your favourite sunglasses to help you feel safer to talk without too much preasure at having to look at anyone but that way Ive noticed helps me to still feel heard maybe even more so at times sending hugs LostAngelHeart

Hi @car321 

It sounds like you're experiencing a lot of anxiety. I know how debilitating anxiety can be. I've been there, you're not alone.

What helps me when I feel like that is to really focus on my feet touching the ground or even to sit down. For me it helps to really focus on being in contact with the ground. 

Sending strength your way,

@Rosie93 

Hi. Can I first say that it must be distressing to be experiencing this. Anyone would be feeling the same way if this was happening to them and it requires some help and guidence.

I would suggest you first visit a G.P in your area and they can put you in touch with someone who can help.

My son had similiar experiences a few years ago and talking to someone has really helped him.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance