Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Jenn4
Senior Contributor

Bipolar embarassment

Hey friends, how are we? I was diagnosed as bipolar about 2 and a half years ago, and my brain has been notably bipolar for about that time 👍but I am working on it 👍I am uncomfortable with what people know/my image about me and my bipolar brain and associated experiences/events. Particularly my family, but also one of my senior coworkers who i really respect. Happy to go into more detail if it would help. How do I fix this? Thankyou 🤲

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Bipolar embarassment

Hi Jenn4

In answer to your first question, going well thank you.

You have said that, having been “diagnosed as bipolar about two and a half years ago”, your “brain has been notably bipolar for about that time”. Does that mean that you have only experienced symptoms for that two and a half years, or are you now aware that symptoms may have been apparent prior to your diagnosis?

Since there is a fairly big range in the presentation of symptoms in the bipolar spectrum, it would be helpful to know how your symptoms are presenting. Particularly to other people in your work, home, and any other environment, about which you may be concerned. Or are your symptoms not usually apparent to others.

Can you let us know what you mean when you say that you “are working on it”?

The question is whether it is best for you to, in some way, disguise or try to cover your bipolar, or whether it may be an option to let people in your immediate home and work environment know about bipolar as an issue for you, and that you are dealing with it by medication and/or other appropriate means.

Recently, I have said to another poster that the person or people directly associated with them may feel a sense of privilege that, as in your situation, they have been offered the knowledge and trust that you could be sharing with them. Another consideration may be that it would be better coming from you than another source if that is at all possible or likely.

You also could gain a feeling of reassurance if you know that certain people around you are aware of your circumstances and know how to assist or manage the situation should a problem or difficulty arise.

I hope that this exploration of ideas will be helpful for you. If you would like to respond with any other information that you think might be relevant, or would simply like to talk about how you are feeling, I would be very happy to talk further with you about your situation or concerns.

With Best Wishes

HenryX

Hi @Jenn4 how are you going?

Just thought I'd let you know about an event at the forum coming up next week about bipolar. Here's the link:

https://saneforums.org/t5/Special-Events/Topic-Tuesday-Let-s-Talk-About-Bipolar-Tues-23rd-March-7-00...

Maybe see you there if it's of interest to you. Smiley Happy

Thankyou @Mazarita 🙂 I'll check it out 🙂 

@HenryX , thankyou for your response and your interest, much appreciated 🙂 In answer to your questions:

I was bipolar about 3.5 years before my diagnosis but i didn't really have problems from it. After my diagnosis I started to have problems. 

My being bipolar that is noticable to others looks like depression ranging from not smiling much and not being a good conversationalist to not getting out of bed for up to 10 days in a row; and mania ranging from just having a lot of energy to acting impulsively and doing things i later regret. I don't have mania in earnest anymore though because of a med that I take PRN. But i have a past of mania that i am still concerned about the consequences of. 

By, I am working on it, I mean I am working on being bipolar without the problems that arise for me from being bipolar. 

People close to me, and one person at work do know i am bipolar. 

That's a good point you make about people close to me feeling a sense of privelege, i like that 🙂 ta

And yeah, this next one is also a good point, thankyou. 

Thankyou again for your help and support 🙂 ❤️  

@Jenn4 @Mazarita 

Hi Jenn4,

Thank you for coming back on the discussion.

Some of your issues I can definitely identify with and empathise with you on them. The symptoms and expression of bipolar are certainly difficult to deal with.

I have not been diagnosed as having bipolar, but the more I see of symptoms and similarities to my own experience, it is definitely an issue that, in retrospect, may have been dealt with more effectively earlier in my life. I do take a fairly high dose of antidepressant, so I am presuming that that does act as a modifier for me. However, there may be other medications that would be more efficient and possibly allow for a better overall effect in life. That is simply something I may consider pursuing should I be able to put together a reasonable case to discuss with my GP.

Thank you so much for the positive feedback on the thoughts that I offered. Very much appreciated. And I value the discussion that is available through the forum. Again, thank you for your comments

Best Wishes for this Easter weekend

HenryX

@HenryX , thankyou 🙂

Definitely discuss it with your GP, and look at discussing it with a psychiatrist, that would be my advice. And don't settle for advice you're dissatisfied with, there are so many doctors out there, and so many good doctors, the best help is out there.

No worries, and exactly, how good is the forum?

Best wishes to you too for the very long weekend!

Kind Regards,

Jenn4 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance