Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Mumincrisis
Casual Contributor

17yo son with daily aggressive panic attacks

I've just found this forum and hope to get insight on ways to move forward in my situation as single mum  to a very troubled teen in a crisis situation. The panic attacks started about 3 - 4 months ago and frequency and intensity has increased. They are now daily, they are sudden and explosive involving punching walls, throwing furniture screaming and crying he has nothing to live for and wants to die all the time. Each time I am seconds from calling 000 and then they pass. He is nearly 18 and will smoke weed to self medicate. I don't approve but know his attacks will be even worse without it until I get get him real help.  The system has not been able to help us so far. Dr won't prescribe medication without trying psychology but we've waited months for an appointment and then my son refused to go. The thought triggered another outburst. I sit here terrified knowing the next outburst could be any moment & most likely before the weekend is over. As I see it I have 2 options. During an episode I call 000. My fear here is that this WILL push his fear and panic even further if that's possible. Instead of threatening self harm, he may act on it. He will be aggressive and I expect police would be called. It would be a risk and cause irreparable emotional scars to be sedated, forcably restrained and potentially taken to a psych ward and he would see me as a mother who betrayed his trust... But he would be forced to get help, hopefully diagnosed and given meds. Between attacks he is friendly, catching up with friends and trying to make plans. This gives me hope. He says the person having the attack feels like a different person he has no control over.  He is sad and embarrassed by the damage. I feel he is very very close to finally agreeing to voluntarily getting help. (as opposed to being forced) I called the Mental health triage but he refused to see them so they cannot help me or open a case. If he agrees to get help, with the frequency and severity of his attacks, where do I go for help?? Is there an  emergency psychiatrist? Are there any over the counter medications that might help?  How can I calm someone in the midst of an attack. I seem to be a trigger and just looking at him makes him more violent. Its only a matter of time before he smashes windows or runs out onto the road. I'm scared, alone and exhausted. Any suggestions please 😥

5 REPLIES 5

Re: 17yo son with daily aggressive panic attacks

Hi @Mumincrisis, welcome to the forums.

I'm one of the moderators, just wanted to stop by and offer some support. I am going to flick you an email, to check in with you and to offer a few resources you might find helpful. In the meantime you might find this page on the SANE website a helpful place to start, especially in encouraging your son's help-seeking, as well as treatment options and crisis information. 

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that I am here to support you, good on you for reaching out for support.  I hope you found the information the moderator was sending to you helpful and I hope you both get some help soon. We all want the best for our children, so it's hard when things don't go the way we planned. Stay strong and look after yourself, try to take some time to rejuvenate yourself.

I hope things turn around for you both real soon. 

@Mumincrisis 

Sometimes it is so difficult encouraging help seeking in our sons.  They are struggling with the drive to independence and many, mine included, do not like asking and do not seem to know how to get the most out of services. 

It is very draining, and becomes unpredictable when they might be set off.  You may be in for a long haul, but self care is essential.  Set a boundary, maybe just one, whether it is fix the damage, or about your personal space. 

We love them, but cannot live their lives.  Becoming a good man is difficult in this world and a very gradual process.  Maybe he can depth and find inner strength to carve out a path in the real world, rather than letting panic overwhelm him.

Sharing may help you find solutions and get support.

Take Care

Smiley Happy

Thankyou so much

Hi @Mumincrisis 

Welcome and I hope that you can find the support here invaluable. I hear you Andi echo @Appleblossom in that you are not alone. Take care and keep reaching out. Just pop a @ in front of our name to message back ❤️

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance