Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Former-Member
Not applicable

When mental illness enters a family

Here is a short 15 min talk gives 4 good strategies to help when MI enters family.

https://youtu.be/NRO0-JXuFMY

10 REPLIES 10

Re: When mental illness enters a family

I noticed that the Dr has also written a book (you can see it on the left side of the stage). After checking online, the title is "Family Guide to Mental Health Care" by Dr L Sederer. Our local library has a copy so will borrow and study.

We started out with a few pamphlets, online search results of varying quality and snippets of information from mental health staff. It was only after finding a decent book that the puzzle pieces started to come together. We were dealing with something completely new and mystifying but some of these authors have dealt with hundreds of cases. Good books have been helpful to understanding the illness and putting some of the day-to-day issues into perspective. 

@Saffy
Can I direct you to this talk as a starting point. Both patientpatient and I keep a chart of symptoms, meds, response to meds, hospital stays and ED visits, diagnosis given etc. Good to do this from the start.

@Former-Member Thanks for this. I will check it out - we are huge readers at our house and I often turn to books for advice but for some reason I hadn't thought to look for a book on being a carer. Just shows how little we talk about these things and how easy it is to think you're the only one!

@Jasminej
Found this one really helpful

@GreenT
This was helpful to me

@HopeForBest
This talk helpful in how to give info to doc.

@WhatToDo

First post in thread

@Inbetweendays 

This talk (first post in discussion thread) may be of help to you.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance