Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Lumi
Contributor

Teen ptsd

My teenaged daughter has been diagnosed with ptsd after a string of physical assaults at school (the worst of which resulted in a fractured nose). She is getting professional support, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for myself, as a parent, to be sure I'm doing the right things to help her at home. Perhaps you read a great book, article, or have just found something that works; I would just like to know I'm on the right page to help her heal and am not going to be adding any unnecessary strains during her recovery. Thanks 😊 

24 REPLIES 24

Re: Teen ptsd

Hi there Lumi, 

I just want you to know, you are doing an amazing job with your daughter. Getting the professional support that she needs is an amazing step. You need to make sure to take some time out for yourself aswell, re-energise and freshen yourself up, physically and mentally, in order to give your best to your daughter, so that you both can get through it all. At least 1 day of the week, do yourself a favour and take a breather. 

Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts 😊

For anyone who might have an interest, I have started reading a book called 'Beyond ptsd: healing and helping teens exposed to trauma'. I'm finding it, and the further reading link within, very helpful! 

hi @Lumi
that's extremely tough. im not a parent but I do suffer from ptsd. One thing ive found helpful is to be listened to. if she approaches your or you notice shes having a particularly bad day ask if shes ok and be willing to listen without words so much so she can just get it out.

@Faith-and-Hope @eth @greenpea may be able to offer some advice here too.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I will definitely remember your words when she next wants to share; less ‘helping’ and more ‘listening’. Thank you 💕

your welcome @Lumi
How are you going tonight?

Not too bad! She has had a couple of quiet, reclusive days but we’ve seen a little more of ‘her’ tonight, which is nice 😊 Hope you are well?

that's good to hear @Lumi
I have days quite similar where I really just want to hide away too.
um im alright, a little nervous about tomorrow but im keeping distracted by chatting here and watching some tv for a while.

have you got anything on tomorrow?

I’m sorry if I missed it if you posted elsewhere already, but is there something specific you have coming up tomorrow that is making you feel uneasy? Do you mind if I ask, on the days you feel like hiding away; do you rather just be left alone? (please feel free not to answer if that’s asking too much x) No plans here, I guess just learning at home for the kids!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance