Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

ssc
Contributor

Private health insurance

Also posted in the carers forum. Desperately seeking some advice.

My sister and I are looking to take out private health insurance for our dad with the sole purpose being for in-patient psychiatric admission. We know there is a 2-month waiting period on psychiatric hospital claims admissions - other than this can anyone recommend companies?...Policies? Insider advice or tips; what worked or didn't work with you and your policy?
And does anyone know of a policy that covers ECT?
We are very new at this, but this is the way his treatment is headed.

Thank you
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Private health insurance

Hi @ssc,

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. My Dad has been very sick, too, so I know what it it like. He has a type of cancer.

I know there are companies who act as 'brokers' who can compare and a whole range of different providers over the phone and ask you questions about your needs in order to get the right one for you. I dealt with one of these companies myself. I can't remember the name of it.

In the end, I didn't end up taking out private health insurance and I probably wont do so at this point. I think the company rang me back a few times, so they were a little pushy. 

There are also websites you can go to that compare all the different health insurance providers. I think there is a good one run by 'Choice' magazine. I will take a look online.

Hi @ssc, I found a government website that might be useful to you. It's at  www.privatehealth.gov.au/compare

I looked at the site run by Choice magazine, but you have to pay to have access to it.

I find government websites usually have the most unbiased information. What do others think?

Former-Member
Not applicable

I think its good idea to make sure the health fund you choose is contracted to the hospital were you want your Dad to receive treatment. In doing so you will save a lot of money (out of pocket expenses). That is just a bit of a heads up. Hope this helps. I would look at one of the bigger health funds- HCF, Medibank Private or MBF.

@ssc, I took out private health insurance with HCF. I originally phoned i-select just to check what was out there and since doing that found they were the best. I got top hospital cover which cost $97.15 per fortnight (quite costly but worth it) and it 100% covers the cost of psychiatric admissions including ECT and anaesthesia for the ECT. i have had a number of lengthy hospital stays costing upwards of $60K in a private facility and never had to worry about costs other than paying my fortnightly premium. 

Hope this info helps.

It's a very good point to check with your dads psychiatrist which hospitals he or she works at & then ensure the health insurance you get covers care at that hoslutal. Many health funds cover several hospitals so this should not be difficult.

The other reason this is important is the psychiatrist will dons daily visit to the ward. Usually in the morning. The psychiatrist looses control when a patient enters the public system.

I am with AHM. I have too hoslutal cover. A once per year excess of $500 for hospital admission. I've not had to use it but will if I need to. My family & I have peace of mind that should I become unwell I will be able to continue top quality psychiatric care with my psychiatrist who knows me very well. The hospital is also much never than the public system.

My cover costs just over $200 a month. It is worth every cent.

I select maybe useful.

I hope this helps.

Ugh, this is a sore point for me - my first post here was about trying to find a decent health insurer I think. Apparently this isn't the place to discuss that, as it's treading close to the board's limits of recommendations, etc. - I got told off. Got a little bit of helpful advice though, & the post is here if you would like to see whether there's anything helpful mentioned for your situation: http://saneforums.org/t5/Looking-after-our-wellbeing/Choosing-a-private-health-fund-advice-needed/td...
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance