Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Lid
New Contributor

Partner with depression, PTSD

I have been with my partner for over 15 years and he has not been coping for a few months.  Each week he tells me he is on the verge of suicide, he has been taking my painkillers (I have cancer), he now drinks as I won't give him anymore.  He went to a counsellor for a few sessions, then stopped.  He then had two visits to a psychiatrist and stopped.  He is on antidepressant medication but this does little. He won't reach out for help and stick to it, he wants a quick fix.  He is about to lose his family as I am at my wits end, what can I do?  

5 REPLIES 5
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Partner with depression, PTSD

Yikes @Lid 

Sounds like tough times all round for you and yours and there are a number of issues at play.

Is the drinking new since your partner started on antidepressants? If so this needs to be reported to the prescribing doctor as there is some evidence in relation to some ADs and alcohol craving (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23796469/). 

If your partner is at risk there is the option of seeking an involuntary assessment order which will enable your partner to be assessed; voluntary treatment however is preferable.  Your state/ territory Mental  Health Act is readily available on line.

The painkillers are just a swap for the painkillers. I think I will call the CATT team next time he is suicidal.
Appreciate your feedback.

How are you managing yourself @Lid ?

I can only imagine the extra weight in your heart at a time when you need TLC yourself.

Hi there @Lid 

It is Whitehawk, the moderator this evening.  I am just checking in with you to see if the situation with your partner has eased at all for you since you last posted. I think it is important that you take his threats to suicide seriously. There will be a mental health triage service in your state or territory that you can phone 24/7 to seek advice. Another option is the Suicide Call Back service on 1300 659 467 also a 24/7 service.  And of course in an emergeny please ring 000.

take care

Whitehawk

Hi Lid I'm new to this SANE community - hope you're going OK
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance