Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Former-Member
Not applicable

Legislation regarding human rights and people with mental disorders

I decided to read an article by the World Health Organisation. I found it to be quite shocking so I figure I'd post it here as not only is it a good educational resource, it sheds light on how far we've got to improving both quality of life and the rights of those with mental disorders. Here's the link:

https://www.who.int/mental_health/policy/fact_sheet_mnh_hr_leg_2105.pdf 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Legislation regarding human rights and people with mental disorders

This is something I am very passionate about as support seekers with severe and enduring mental health presentations are consistently exposed to human rights violations including CTOs Restrictive practices and unnecessary use of sedation Indeed Human rights violations experienced by mental health consumers are comparable to the appalling human rights violations experienced by our first nations peoples.  Alongside this the evidence---[Longitudinal Outcome studies and Meta Analysis]--- indicates there has been little improvement in outcome in so far as psychiatry is concerned when one unpacks outcomes for  consumers in the last 50 years---[Just to give myself some street Cred I'm a Lived Experience Practitioner and Social Work Masters student having worked in the helping professions for 25 years]---One thing that is helping is the current Peer Movement in Mental Health Settings whereby living experience of a mental health presentation/label/diagnosis and the skills that can be drawn from the same are used within a Peer Framework---[See recent release of the National Peer Framework headed by Dr Louise Burn]---To support improved outcomes for Support Seekers with mental health labels.  Another important thing is that there has been a history of Strong Mental Health Advocates and more recent MAD Movement - An anti oppressive movement against psychiatry that seeks to reclaim the notion of Madness into the Recovery Movement. We really do stand on the shoulders of giants in reflection of the progress made thus far! Some of the great agitators and visionaries who have championed maintaining human rights for support seekers with mental health labels in Australia include our own Robyn Priest The Amazing Mary O'Hagan from New Zealand and more contemporary Leaders such as Mathew Jackman and Louise Burn Perhaps a great Introduction to the human rights movement is this "Piece by Mary O'Hagan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DznmqH3d4BI&t=7s

I encourage all consumers to engage in the MHS Conference each year "Have a Voice" we need to unite and fight to remove violations of human rights for mental health support seekers in Australia

The WHO is awesome. They do amazing meta-analysis. It really helps understanding our box, by seeing what's going on in the international boxes.

@Lou2u Welcome to this forum and congratulations on your Lived experience work and studies.

Just started that little vid and within 5 seconds ... yep ... big resonance ... reading files about oneself ... love her attitude ... "bast**ds".  I need to get more attitude.

Ciao

Apple

United Nations Convention on the Rights with People with Disabilities

Australia has ratified this but we have a long way to go

https://www.un.org/disabilities/documents/convention/convention_accessible_pdf.pdf 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance