Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Emergence
Contributor

Assertiveness workbooks (and other resources)

I mentioned here recently that I'd been through the concept of assertiveness with a psychologist, the workbook I have in my notes is available from a website run by the WA Government: https://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/Resources/Looking-After-Yourself/Assertiveness

The resources section looks like a good place to search for other subjects too:

Screenshot_20230524_074743.pngScreenshot_20230524_074718.png

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Assertiveness workbooks (and other resources)

I had a read through all of the workbooks as I hadn't seen them all before. Chapter 1 was worthwhile as it defines assertiveness in terms of your rights.

I also found chapter 4 particularly useful, and maybe should have been put before chapter 3 if an order was intended. It gives a few techniques for being assertive with people, explains them, their situational advantages and provides examples.

Chapter 5 has a good verbal description of a full body relaxation technique that I've run through with a couple of psychologists previously. You tense, then relax parts of your body progressively with your eyes closed.

Chapter 7 on responding to criticism assertively was was worthwhile for me. It covers responses for criticism that you think are valid or non-valid, including ones that can get you out of a conversation or help defuse it, if telling the truth would make them more aggressive.

Chapter 8 on dealing with disappointment was nice and brief, and seems like a reasonable checklist of questions to ask yourself to make sure ,if you're feeling disappointment, it's within reason.

Yes thank-you @Emergence  I have been looking at other subjects. The modules are very comprehensive. I appreciate you sharing this resource

@Emergence 

Thanks for sharing, this is a good resource.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance