Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

maddison
Senior Contributor

Article - The End Of Schizophrenia

Hello Everyone,

Here is a link to an article. It focuses on Schizophrenia, yet could be relevant to many diagnoses.

It discusses the inadequacies of the use diagnostic tools, & how today's information is a little outdated.

I was surprised to learn, that in other European countries, as well as Japan, the term 'schizophrenia' has already been phased out.

Japan: integration disorder, or Togo-Shitcho-Sho

South Korea: attunement disorder 

Taiwan: dysregulation of thought and perception.

European countries (possible new terms) “neuro-emotional integration disorder,” or “psychosis susceptibility syndrome,”

The article demonstrates that it is not simply replacing one with an other & claiming the former now no longer exists. It's also about having a deeper understanding of how our minds work & the damage that labels potentially cause.

Schizophrenia is a very old word, ( literally meaning split mind - a confusing description!!) & has gathered an unfairly negative association over it's time in use. Unfortunately, today we almost immediately interpret it as something horrible or too serious.

The article is a little heavy in the beginning, there is some good stuff towards the end.

https://slate.com/technology/2022/07/schizophrenia-diagnosis-history-dsm.html 

Worth a read!

@Appleblossom @Shaz51 could you please help me tag any other members/carers

@Judi9877 @Shasan 

Thx maddison 

22 REPLIES 22

Re: Article - The End Of Schizophrenia

Wow. Thank you. Very interesting @maddison I will def follow up that lady who is a health historian and clinician.

Just tagging as suggested ... For your info, if you are interested ...

@Krishna @Sophia1 @Libra @Mumma @Latte @Sweet_cheeks @RublesTime @Pelican @Mel1 @marigold38 @pinklollipop15 

Thanks @maddison for sharing this article. My daughter has had so many labels these past 10 years. Drug induced “S”, Paranoid “S”, Catatonic “S”, Treatment Resistant “S” and all have added to her lack of sense of self, her ability to see a light, to have hope for a better future. It’s only recently with the support of a good social worker that the team caring for her are able to see beyond the labels and get a better understanding of who she is and the strengths and talents she possesses and more better able to meet her needs. 

Thanks heaps for your support @Shaz51 @Appleblossom 

I'm glad the article also resonated with you @Appleblossom @Krishna 

Thankyou for your feedback!

We need to do better for our vulnerable. It shouldn't be up to us as carers - we do so much already! Yet here we sit. We are crucial link. As they say, information is power!

@Krishna it is beautiful to read about your daughter & how her care has improved. Thankyou for sharing.

Thanks so much, made so much sense and is something I felt all along...everyone diagnosed is SO much different. Cheers Libra xo

That's great to read @Libra I agree, & felt the same way. Thankyou for your support.

I really like your name!

Hello my friend @Libra ❤❤

@Krishna 

I am glad there has been some shift in the care for your daughter.

@Libra Yes, that is what I struggled with. 

Both my parents had the label, but their personalities and histories were so different so it was a stretch to understand.  Yet for most of life I "bought" it, as the doctors were the experts.  Getting old has been good to see that label challenged. Recently, I was wary of doing and/or teaching the Diploma of Community Services, as immediately it struck me as a very rigid limited style of knowledge and course teaching and I did not want anything to do with continuing psychiatric harm.  Our govt needs to keep abreast international developments in  the field rather than overly investing in possibly soon to be superseded theoretical models.  Hmmmm.  Thanks again @maddison 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance