Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Your mental health and the recent bushfires // Tues 28 Jan, 7pm AEST

That sounds scary for everyone @Shaz51 and I hope that they're safe now

Re: Topic Tuesday // Your mental health and the recent bushfires // Tues 28 Jan, 7pm AEST

Hello @Daphne  with cyclones you have lots of warning 

@Former-Member , I see you my sister, sending you tender hugs, soo hard too talk about the fires 

@Determined 

I'm wondering @Shaz51 whether you have any words of wisdom that you'd like to share here about how to support your mental health after a crisis?

Yes that would be so tough @Shaz51 and as you have mentioned sometimes an experience that is happening to others can remind us of something really hard that we went through. Sometimes we can all want to keep following the news but that can be quite hard and sometimes we can be cut off from power and reception and can't get in contact at that moment. Or like @Rainforest and @Daphne have mentioned as well, the impact can play on us in future moments after this event. 

How can we manage that impact at the moment?

@Shaz51 Yeah it's really hard to talk about the fires. They're scary, but I am wondering if opening up and talking about how we are experiencing the current situation is what is needed.

Hi everyone here and all who might come by 🙂

I haven't been close to the fires but, like so many others, have found it difficult just to watch and to imagine what so many people are going through. I have felt a sense of helplessness and overwhelm at times. I've also found it has triggered memories of black Saturday which was an incredibly full on time where I was at the time and for a lot of people I know who were directly impacted by it. Really feeling for so many people at the moment.

@Daphne  mentioned this before about not feeling in control during a crisis or disaster.  One thing that is helpful and @Lauz said it too earlier, is to limit the amount of coverage you're taking in via social media or the news.  Watching images or stories of the crisis can make you feel worse and quite helpless.  Limiting the amount of information you take in can be really helpful until you're feeling more on top of things again

@CheerBear Yes it has been a very triggering time for everyone. I think we have all been impacted and whether we're directly effected, we have an overwhelming sense as humans to want to do something but we can feel helpless. It's important to do what's okay for you.

We have bushfire smoke (haze) covering parts of Perth, several times a year (at least). @Lauz @Daphne @Rainforest @Shaz51 

Even just a few days ago, I could smell it for miles.

As for the national bushfire situation, & all the recent fires -

What I was totally unprepared for is - 1)The constant media barrage of "Over-stimulating information" (information overload).

2) The fact that all my inter-state relatives & a close friend (interstate) insist on constantly talking about the bushfires - over & over again.

Not from their own experience - simply Dramatic Retellings (constantly) of what they have heard & seen in the media.

Being a trauma survivor, with Complex PTSD - I have found this very triggering & Re-triggering.

Then triggering again, as soon as I've recovered from the previous triggers....

Adge

Hi @CheerBear glad to have you here with us. 

Yes, really hear what you are sharing - that is part of the impact to feel those triggers come up as well isn't it? Not easy at all and hard to remember things like the Black Saturday event and feel that huge sense of empathy and sadness for those effected. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance