Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Understanding Trauma and Supporting Loved Ones// Blue Knot Foundation // Tues 23rd February 2021, 7:00-8:00PM AEDT

I haven’t done one of these before.. can we just ask questions or does it use the questions we already put.. wondering then What makes
Someone more susceptible to reacting bad/having more mental health troubles ?

Re: Topic Tuesday // Understanding Trauma and Supporting Loved Ones// Blue Knot Foundation // Tues 23rd February 2021, 7:00-8:00PM AEDT

@greenpea 

myself i dont think our trauma that we had can be passed down to our children, but the fear of the trauma can show in our children 

@Cathyblueknot@Daisydreamer 

@Cathyblueknotsaid: "There is no value in seeing any hierarchy of trauma". 

Yes very true.

Unfortunately some professionals I've dealt with - Do still see it as a hierarchy of trauma, some experiences being worse than others etc.

Adge

Hi @destructive, for this topic tuesday we had some questions submitted ahead of time, but we will also be linking to a range of resources that you might find handy 🙂 We will talk about some themes in your question tonight though

@Cathyblueknot I also found it interesting to note the difference between a single event of trauma and complex trauma which is often repeated or ongoing trauma. Both can have an impact on mental health and wellbeing, and it sounds like Blue Knot is really focussing on supporting those who are survivors of complex trauma.

Question 2: What are the impacts of trauma? How does trauma impact the body, mental health and wellbeing?

Ok thanks @Daisydreamer

Question 2: What are the impacts of trauma? How does trauma impact the body, mental health and wellbeing?

Complex trauma can have many possible impacts. These vary from person to person. Some people struggle with their sense of self and identity, have low self-esteem, and also find relationships challenging.

Some people have physical health impacts – common ones include impacts on the immune system and muscle aches and pains, as well as high blood pressure, diabetes and other chronic health conditions.

Complex trauma can also affect a person’s mental health and wellbeing – causing anxiety, depression and other mental health conditions. Many people with trauma histories have a number of different mental health diagnoses, including personality disorders, bipolar, schizophrenia, dissociative disorders. It is important to understand that trauma often underlies these diagnoses.

Hi,

Still figuring out how this forum works, and finishing cooking my dinner at the same time 🙂

@Shaz51  Hi Shaz51 🙂 you dont think that if a parent with a mental illness so to speak there is a higher likelyhood of them having children who also have mental health problems due to maybe a combination of genes and environment? I would love to hear as many peoples opinions on this.

@greenpea trauma is not quite hereditary (ie, genetic). I can see why you asked this, though, as it can appear intergenerationally/in families. There will be a question coming up about trauma in families, hopefully the response to that will be helpful 😊 You can also find out more through Blue Knot's resources here

Hi @happygirl, thanks for joining 😊To join the event, you can refresh your page to see when new responses are posted. To make a post yourself, click "reply" underneath a post and you can write a response. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance