Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Resilience as a response to discrimination // Tues, 17 May, 7pm AEST

@eth the use of pronouns is a big one. I have a few friends who are transgender, and through my relationship with them I've realised just how engrained discriminatory and stigmatising language is. 

Re: Topic Tuesday // Resilience as a response to discrimination // Tues, 17 May, 7pm AEST

@RossQLife @eth @MoonGal Does anyone know why today is IDAHoT day? 

Ooooh I do I do, but let's see who wins the prize... Smiley Tongue

No they are now 27, married with a child @RossQLife.  But by no means yet very resilient when it comes to the general public's assumption of binary gender identity.  They identify as neither female nor male and are still evolving into who they have realised they need to be.

I shared an IDOHOT post on my facebook page today from Phillipines in solidarity - but I hadn't actually ever heard of it before. So no don't know what the origins are - something terrible remembered and turned around to embrace and celebrate diveristy is my guess.

@eth, ah ok. Well best of luck to them... it's pretty hard to lead a life that's so authentic. I hope they feel well connected and would remind you that QLife is there and available between 3pm and midnight if they ever want to talk to someone.

@Former-Member - umm, with all respect I reckon this argument has an overt lack of knowledge of what it means to be transgender and most assaults that occur are not people in gender differentiated clothing. I can understand that people are worried about an issue they have no knowledge about but it is easy to get good solid information about transgender people's lives. It is similar to the old way of thinking and discriminatory behaviours that not so long ago had everyone screaming lock up your children when there were gay men living n the neighbour hood.

@MoonGal yep pretty close... on the 17th of May, 1990 homosexuality was officially removed from the international list of mental health conditions! (Yes, 1990... )

IDAHOT I think was established when homosexuality was removed from the DSM as a mental illness. It wasn't that long ago either but I've forgotten the year. I know it was this century.

hi @Kurra! So close!

But yep, it still feels like 1990 was a really late time to make this statement.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance